Thread: Need purchasing advice on PowerMac G5

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Need purchasing advice on PowerMac G5

Hey forums,

I was browsing my local craigslist when I found a used Apple PowerMac G5. I've never owned an Apple computer and told myself that I would like to buy a cheaper one just to experiment with. The gentlemen I spoke to is selling the unit for $140. Apparently, it is a dual-core 1.8 GHz, 2GB Ram, DVD-combo, 160 HDD machine. (I haven't asked what the specific model is yet). The only caveat is the wired port seems a bit wonky. He says Ethernet works, but sometimes the connection is loss and comes back. He informed me that he did a fresh install of Leopard and did the combo update to 10.5.8. The restore disks, keyboard, mouse, and monitor are not included.

I know nothing of the value of Macs. I explored eBay and found that most of these models go for around $300-500 U.S. Could someone with Apple experience give me some advice. Does this seem like a good deal? or should I stay away?
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans

Re: Need purchasing advice on PowerMac G5

Hmm, it sounds like a good deal, but have you seen the machine in person yet? With those specs, it's good. The only problems that might arise that jump out at me is the G5 processor (most newer OSX software works exclusively on Intel processors), and you'll likely need an adapter to hook up to a VGA monitor.

Oh, and if it doesn't come with restore discs, you'd be best off buying your own OSX software. In fact, the whole deal sounds a little less than completely kosher. May just be me though.

Beans

I bought one of the last G5 for $500. It is in really good shape. Beware they run hot and the liquid cooling is known to leak and some software is not available for PowerPC.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and bought the Mac. It's in fantastic condition and the guy was nice enough to throw in a free apple keyboard, mouse, and DVI/VGA adapter!

I'm currently using the Mac to type this response. It's quiet and fast. Not bad for $140!!
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by isaacj87 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and bought the Mac. It's in fantastic condition and the guy was nice enough to throw in a free apple keyboard, mouse, and DVI/VGA adapter!

I'm currently using the Mac to type this response. It's quiet and fast. Not bad for $140!!

Are you going to fire it up with linux?

Beans
    Distro

I haven't decided yet, but I'm definitely going to try a LiveCD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isaacj87 View Post

Nice! Glad it worked out for you, and hope you enjoy it!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Apple used to be the company of "think different". But now that they're running x86 based CPU's like everyone else they're no different than any other PC. Except that they have an Apple logo on the case and cost more for less performance.
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NMFTM View Post
    Apple used to be the company of "think different". But now that they're running x86 based CPU's like everyone else they're no different than any other PC. Except that they have an Apple logo on the case and cost more for less performance.
    True, but I bought an old-school (I say it as if it's so old) Power Mac G5 for <$150. It would be different if I bought something like a MacBook Air for $1000.
    Last edited by isaacj87; November 4th, 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Spelling Nazis

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    I bought one of the last G5 for $500. It is in really good shape. Beware they run hot and the liquid cooling is known to leak and some software is not available for PowerPC.
    I did some research on these units and they seem error-prone. Here's hoping for the best!