Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO : eGalax Touchscreen on Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO : eGalax Touchscreen on Ubuntu 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarKnight View Post
    Got it calibrated using /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ instead of /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/!!

Now on to find a way for right click!
    That's strange! Anyway, I am glad to hear that your hardware is working fine.

Beans

Hi,

first - good job, thank you.

Anyway, my issue seems to be little different - my eGalax Touch screen is connected via PS/2 interface (Umid mbook SE aka Unkyo BX407A4). I followed your steps carrefully, but no success.

Do you have any idea how to modify your "howto?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by viktorh View Post
    Hi,

first - good job, thank you.

Anyway, my issue seems to be little different - my eGalax Touch screen is connected via PS/2 interface (Umid mbook SE aka Unkyo BX407A4). I followed your steps carrefully, but no success.

Do you have any idea how to modify your "howto?
    Sorry, I have no idea for PS/2 interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

samiux, I have a different device than you, a dell duo instead of a Gigabyte TouchNote T1028X, but i was hoping either you could help me or point me in the right direction. Your tutorial worked well for me for single touch, but i am not able to make multi touch work on my device. It is within the capabilities of the device (works in windows), i just cant seem to make it work. Do you have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Non.Cents View Post
    samiux, I have a different device than you, a dell duo instead of a Gigabyte TouchNote T1028X, but i was hoping either you could help me or point me in the right direction. Your tutorial worked well for me for single touch, but i am not able to make multi touch work on my device. It is within the capabilities of the device (works in windows), i just cant seem to make it work. Do you have any ideas?
    I have no device with multi-touch feature. I heard that utouch, which is mentioned at Step 7 on my tutorial, is working for multi-touch. I think you can try it. Or, combine with the previous Steps, maybe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Bummer. I did indeed install utouch, the problem is that the second poc is not even recognized, it does nothing at all so i need more than just the gestures. Thanks anyways, and thanks for the single touch answer.

Beans

I've been poking around alot with this issue and the touchscreen. And got the solution of a big mix of everything.

I have an external touchscreen (noname cr*p) running on a sh*tty HP laptop that's about 7 years old. But it got its purpose in life

I tried out the TouchKit software first off, 'cause i've been running it in LinuxICE before. No luck. Found out that i got the error msg "unable to enumerate usb device on port X". I tried every solution on the web, taking advice on that it's the motherboard that can't deliver enough power (tried with a usb hubb with external power supply with no luck), killing the echi_hcd drivers, etc, but found that it was just a bad USB cable...
    Anyway, the touchscreen didn't work. The pointer jumped to the top left corner every time i touched the screen. So i searched the web and found, among other, this forum thread.
    Tried the solution according to the description, but failed.
    Then i installed the kernel 2.6.37-rc1, and it started to work! Great...was my first thought. Then i noticed i had no network connection. I searched the web about it, found nothing good of use, 'cause b44 and b43 driver has issues by default. Tried reinstalling the kernel, with no sucess. Tried installing 2.6.37-rc2 with no sucess. Poked around a bit and found that it turned out that the drivers (b44 and b43) for my ethernet and wireless card was blacklisted by default. Fixed that by commenting them out.
    Then i had the issue with calibrating the screen. It worked like a charm once i ran xinput_calibration, but went back to default after every reboot. Moved the xorg.conf.d folder to /etc/X11 instead of /usr/lib/X11 with no luck. I created the file 99-calibration.conf (something like that) according to the instructions from xinput_calibration, rebooted and ended up with a black screen once X should start. Responded to ctrl+alt+del with no hesitation though.
    Then I had the issue with GRUB2 not responding to my SHIFT input, so i couldn't get into recovery mode... 1 second from the push of the reinstall the whole OS, I came up with one solution. When you interrupt the boot (just shutting the computer down, pulling the plugg or whatever) GRUB2 shows you the GrubMenu by default! Perfect! So i entered the shell from recoverymode, removed the 90-cali* file from xorg.conf.d and rebooted. Sucess!
    Read the thread here once again and noticed mising's reply about putting the calibration info in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file instead of the seperate one. What do you know...It worked like a charm

Hope this helps someone else that has these issues. Took me a whole day to get this fixed...

Summary what i should do for the next reinstall on the computer:
    - Install Ubuntu Netbook Edition
    - Get Linux Kernel 2.6.37-rc1
    - Comment out the network drivers in the blacklist (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf)
    - Follow the instructions from Samiux
    - Run xinput_calibration and put the calibration settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    - Live long and pass on your knowledge for others

//AcKyL

Beans

Hello,
    I have followed the steps to 6. I get the below errors on step 5 and 6.

laptop ~ $ sudo dpkg -i xinput-calibrator_0.7.5-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 54527 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace xinput-calibrator 0.7.5-1ubuntu1 (using xinput-calibrator_0.7.5-1ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement xinput-calibrator ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xinput-calibrator:
    xinput-calibrator depends on libcairomm-1.0-1 (>= 1.6.4); however:
    Package libcairomm-1.0-1 is not installed.
    xinput-calibrator depends on libglibmm-2.4-1c2a (>= 2.24.0); however:
    Package libglibmm-2.4-1c2a is not installed.
    xinput-calibrator depends on libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a (>= 1:2.20.0); however:
    Package libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing xinput-calibrator (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    xinput-calibrator

-laptop ~ $ xinput_calibrator
    xinput_calibrator: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have an Asus eeepc 4g with the very latest Peppermint Linux. Any help would be wonderful ..

Thanks,
    gb1138

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The above error messages indicate that some of the packages your linux knows about have version numbers that indicate that they are mutually incompatible to each other. Normally this happens only on development versions of a linux when new versions of some packages have already been uploaded while other packages still need the old ones.

Try to do a
    sudo apt-get update
    and repeat the step that output the dependency error messages. Chances are high that the problem is already fixed by now. And if that is true the above command fixes the problem by automatically downloading a new package list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12