Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wireless networking refuses to be enabled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wireless networking refuses to be enabled

Alright, P4man, it didnt turn off on reboot. That's right, havent rebooted since tilll a few moments ago someday this things going to burn through the table top, however, I would be really grateful if you could explain to me, in a slightly jargon-downed way what exactly we did with modprobe.. ?
    Much grateful-ness

Beans
    Hidden!

modprobe -r just unloads a linux kernel module (=driver), and modprobe loads it again. loading acer-wmi didnt even work since your machine doesnt support it, so you might as well not have typed that.

Thats why im confused it "stuck". Unless the actual solution was something you did earlier.

BTW, if you rebooted, it may still not stick. Try turning the machine off for a while, and power it on again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No I left it off for a bit.. had lunch then got back to it.. Seems to have stuck and its been working smoothly since. Hmm.. ok yea i figured the accer thing.. this worked for me though. Thanks a bunch. I'll try and remember it..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

P.S.: what did you have in mind for the permanent soln?

Beans
    Hidden!

I think connecting it to the internet and running the updates is what actually solved it. All it needed then was a reboot or reloading the atheros module. Thats my guess anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, my updates didnt finish till after it started working.. I was probably on update file number 40 or something when it started up.. the output on rfkill changed immediately after running modprobe commands... I'm pretty much convinced it was ur commands that did it.. marking it solved.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123