Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.36-020636-generic hangs

Beans

Re: update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.36-020636-generic hangs

Fixed it.

Found the solution here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/642421
    Though the description doesn't match exactly with my problem.

To summarize the steps:
    1) Edit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf (sudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf in the console) and change the line MODULES=most to MODULES=dep.

2) Reinstall initramfs-tools and initramfs-tools-bin

Hope this helps someone else.

Beans

I'd found this thread after discovering to my shock and disgust that Ubuntu 10.10 wasn't able to install anything on account of dpkg. The symptom was that in the Ubuntu Software Center an attempt to install would act like it was frozen, and cancelling would produce a message about dpkg being interrupted or somesuch and not being usable.

I tried some other maneuvers including sudo dpkg --configure -a as recommended by an error message in the command line. That was useless and brought me to the dreaded "update-initramfs: Generating" hang up. I also tried the various steps at the UbuntuGenius blog without success.

I'm on something of a hair trigger with Ubuntu. 10.04 was nothing but trouble and would find some new way to spew fail upon every reboot, and, while 10.10 has been a vast improvement (and I've also been much more delicate with it), Wine never worked out of the box. So once it seemed that I was stuck in some sort of hell where I couldn't update or install anything, I was just disgusted and burned off a different distro and proceeded to install it in another partition.

But, it sucked, so I decided to see if Ubuntu would cooperate.

Upon login, I tried installing something and got a new error.

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 144, in _process_transaction not self.is_dpkg_journal_clean(): File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 700, in is_dpkg_journal_clean for dentry in os.listdir(status_updates): OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/'
    This at least had the benefit of being different.

For kicks, I sudo'ed up and made the missing directory just to see what would happen. I then did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and all of the sudden everything was back to normal, even across a restart, and I can install programs again.

So, Ubuntu is safe for another day.

Beans

Hi all,

I recently had this problem on Ubuntu 10.10 and the kernel running at the time was 2.6.35-28; and update manager was trying to get up to 2.6.35-30.

I didn't write down exact error messages, but thought I would contribute my solution in case others need it:

The error was reported by either dpkg or apt-get during the post-installation steps, along the lines of :

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-30-generic
    E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/fuse_utils failed with return 1.

I debugged it for a bit and found that fuse_utils needs /sbin/mount.fuse to exist; and it didn't on my system - not sure why, dno't care why.

I created a symlink in /sbin for /sbin/mount.fuse to point to /bin/fusermount ... with
    "cd /sbin; sudo ln -s /bin/fusermount ./mount.fuse"

After this I did "sudo apt-get install --reinstall initramfs-tools" ... and it completed successfully

All seems good now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12