Thread: Need Ubuntu Driver for HP DesignJet 430

Beans

Need Ubuntu Driver for HP DesignJet 430

I am gradually trying to switch over from XP to Ubuntu and I am looking
    to find a driver for my HP DesignJet 430 plotter.
    My system :
    Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit

Would anyone know where I might go to get one? I could not seem to find one on the HP site.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Need Ubuntu Driver for HP DesignJet 430

Since the Open Printing site says your printer works perfectly in Linux, that should mean that the driver will be included in a default install.

Have you tried connecting the printer, switching it on and going to System > Administration > Printing? If it's a usb printer you'll probably find that it's autoconfigured by the system (once you switch it on) quicker than you can get to the Print administration utility. If it isn't autoconfigured, just click on 'Add' and follow the prompts.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

No, I haven't turned the plotter yet, but I will do that.
    Actually I haven't even got my cad software for Linix yet, so
    I did not even think about turning the plotter on yet. Though I am worried about whether or not the plotter will connect through the serial port as it seems most things go through the USB port now days. ( this plotter is connected to the serial port, old plotter, purchased 2003 )
    I have checked on the HP web site and many other web sites for a Linux driver for this plotter and can't find one, also I looked in Synaptic I could not see one listed for this plotter, so I thought that there wasn't one, but I will give what you sugested a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

With the exception of some wireless and graphics card drivers, most Linux drivers come with your os.
    Facebook, Apple, Google, corrupt governments, the ISP's and Telco's
    can be beaten at their own game by free and open source software.
    Here's how. (Extra credit)

Beans

Thanks. I did as you said and I turned my plotter on and followed the process and at the final it showed a driver for this plotter. Thanks!
    When I get my cad software I will see if it connects properly to it.
    Trying to now get wine to work with Intellicad ( Intellicad is my work software, I can't afford AutoCad ) .
    --------------------------------------------------
    That said, I am trying to gradually switch from Windows to Ubuntu Linux.
    Love the open architecture of Linux, Makes me want to get into the system
    programming of Linux. Great multitasking system.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by s1baker View Post
    Thanks. I did as you said and I turned my plotter on and followed the process and at the final it showed a driver for this plotter. Thanks!
    If you go back to System > Administration > Printing, you should see your plotter in the small window with a green tick on it if it's set as the default. Right-click on it > Properties and there is a button to print a test page if you want. At least there is with a printer. I have no experience of plotters. At least no recent experience of plotters - not since MS-DOS 3.1.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

I am also looking for a solution

see this

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...gnjet_430.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.