Thread: reconfigure grub after reinstall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

reconfigure grub after reinstall

I've upgraded the hdd in my macbookpro 5,5 and after installing OSX and refit and copying the ubuntu to its partition with rsync and the live CD, I am now stuck with the problem that refit won't recognize my linux partition.
    After reading some forums/wikis etc. I've understood that grub has to be on a partition with linux. However, I'm not able to install grub with
    Code:
    grub-install --root-directory=[UUID] /dev/sda
    because the MBR of the hdd is not found. According to Refit, there is a mbr and it looks like it's ok... Grub could be installed with blocklists (that's what it says in the error message), however I have no idea what that means and if that is what I want.

Do you have any ideas how I could install grub so that my linux partition is found by refit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: reconfigure grub after reinstall

from an Ubuntu liveCD, you reinstall Grub to your harddisk
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/sdX
    change /dev/sdX it into the device you want
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the answer. However, things aren't that easy :
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
    and btw, the code I've posted in my first post leads to
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/[UUID] /dev/sda
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: if you really want blocklists, use --force.
    [UUID]=UUID of the partition containing linux. The same message appears if the root-directory option points to the efi partition...

Any ideas?

Beans

You might try installing grub-efi-ia32 or grub-efi-ia64, depending on whether your EFI is 32- or 64-bit (probably the latter, but I'm not positive of that). This version of GRUB works within the EFI framework rather than relying on the BIOS emulation used by the grub-pc package. As such, it eliminates the need for a BIOS Boot Partition. This change will also enable you to convert the flaky and downright dangerous hybrid MBR into a conventional protective MBR, which is much safer. OTOH, few or no online tutorials describe how to do it this way. I've seen some suggestions that X may work only in non-accelerated framebuffer mode when booting in EFI mode. That's definitely not a problem on my Mac Mini 1,1, but it's possible it's a problem on systems with other graphics chipsets. (Mine's got an Intel chipset, the 950 IIRC.)

Beans
    Distro

Thankyou very much for your help. On the page you linked to, it says that
    Unfortunately, as of autumn 2010, rEFIt, or some tool associated with it, seems to produce misconfigured hybrid MBRs, requiring elimination of a duplicate 0xEE MBR partition.
    ...which might explain my problem. Anyway, I'm going to give grub-efi a shot tonight.