Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .exe not running - No Error messages showing [Lineage 2 - Epilogue]

Beans

Angry .exe not running - No Error messages showing [Lineage 2 - Epilogue]

Hello all.
    The other day I tried to run lineage2 using wine. The private server that i'm interested in has deactivated GameGuard so that's not an issue.

I'm using Kubuntu 10.10
    Wine 1.3.6 and winetricks and all that stuff
    My VGA is a nVidia 9600GT-M
    I'm on my HP Pavilion dv5-1050ev

After downloading d3dx9 and d3dx10 files that i could find I installed the game alright, successfully completed all updates etc etc. When i browsed to the system folder of the game and run l2.exe the usual splash screen came up and after a couple of seconds disappeared as it should. But then, instead of the LineageII window coming up showing me a login screen, nothing happened.

I tried to experiment with the option.ini to try to run the game on windowed/fullscreen mode and with wine emulating and not emulating a windows desktop. Results remained the same. The main game window fails to show up, and same happens for the possible error messages.

Here I have a log of an attempt to run the game on fullscreen mode and with wine's option of emulating a desktop disabled. My "linux newb" or "green-tux" status prevents me from comprehending stuff like that so far.

Code:
    fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
    fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclA 1 0x1f9fb3f4 (nil) 0x1f9fb3f0
    fixme:process:GetProcessWorkingSetSize (0xffffffff,0x33e548,0x33e544): stub
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e760,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e838,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33a3e8,0x00000000), stub!

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: .exe not running - No Error messages showing [Lineage 2 - Epilogue]

There's really nothing to comprehend there. The "fixme" error messages are just developer notes about stuff they are still working on in Wine. As a user and not a developer, they are (usually) mostly meaningless and really can't be fixed.

That being said, considering the questionable legality of private servers, I'm not sure we are actually allowed to help with a problem like this. Ubuntu is pretty strict about anything that could be construed as assisting with software piracy of any kind.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Oh yeah, I understand. So, l2 aside, is there somewhere a list with known bug fixes for my wine version? 1.3.6. I've seen in many posts people talking about bugs.wineHQ.org and bugs2.wineHQ.org and stuff needing to be downloaded but most of it is already implemented in my version. I'm having some problems launching League of Legends, and a couple other games listed as platinum or gold in the database. Guides are not usually helpful as they are usually refering to a 0.9.40 or older wine version and resurfacing the thread doesn't attract any replies. I'm not whining here, I would just love some tips on how to make more effective posts/help requests (have already read that guide sticky thingy). Thank you

Beans
    Distro

There aren't really "known bug fixes" for any particular Wine version, there are just workarounds and fixes for particular pieces of software used in Wine. The guides you might be seeing are probably still valid, even though they may have been written for an older version of Wine. About the only thing I might avoid doing (assuming a guide calls for it) is applying any Wine source code patches. With a guide written for an older version of Wine, there is a good chance that whatever patch is asked for has already been integrated into the current Wine. You can usually verify this by checking the Wine AppDB entry for the software you are trying to run to see if the bug the patch was supposed to address is still open and valid.

Beans

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all, I am also interested in running Lineage 2, though not Epilogue but Freya, and I get a CE as soon as the game tries to draw up the login screen. Now I'm assuming t has something to do with either a lack of support or a lack of performance from my ATI radeon Xpress 200 (It's a pretty old card, but I used to be able to play Lineage 2 in my Windows OS before they upgraded the graphics of the game). Any suggestions ?

Also is there really no workaround for the gameguard (I saw that lineage II was listed as being one of the games that are not playable due to gameguard issues with wine in another thread)

Largaroth

Beans
    Distro

GameGuard runs as a Windows device driver and Windows device drivers do not and never will work in Wine. The only "workaround" for GameGuard is using private servers that don't require it, which may not actually be legal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm, okay I think I see what you mean... No Lineage II on Linux without breaking the law then ^^". I guess I'll take a look around and see what's available then.... Shame, I really liked Lineage II (I once had a level 79 Grand Khavatari which I was rather proud of, though my social life has never fully recovered ! Haha)

Largaroth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Largaroth View Post
    I once had a level 79 Grand Khavatari which I was rather proud of, though my social life has never fully recovered ! Haha

Largaroth
    Yea, ruined social life is really hard to fix, lots of personal experience here , but it's just as hard to suddenly stop playing the game that almost dominated the last 6 years of your life . Aaahhh... whatever. I guess it's time to move on and do stuff like finding out how dogs and trees and girls and dragons and elves look like in real life...

(what?!?!? What do you mean when you say THERE ARE NO ELVES IN REAL LIFE?!?!?)
    Last edited by Eternal_Light; November 2nd, 2010 at 10:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Haha, yeah tree are pretty cool IRL, haven't come accross any girls though... None that look anything like the girls IG anyway xD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast