Thread: Shell, Auto append number to file and read from external file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Shell, Auto append number to file and read from external file.

Code:
    cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,index,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/index.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,02042010,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/02042010.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,11042010,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/11042010.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,downloads,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/downloads.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,gallery,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/gallery.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,15042010,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/15042010.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,24042010,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/24042010.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,05052010,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/05052010.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,maplestory_and_ubuntu_lucid,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/maplestory_and_ubuntu_lucid.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,first_tattoo_and_new_baby,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/first_tattoo_and_new_baby.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,getting_fatter,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/getting_fatter.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,moved_home,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/moved_home.html
    	cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,about_writer,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/about_writer.html
    cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,second_scan,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/second_scan.html
    How could I get this shell file to:
    a.instead of ask for a filename instead just append it with 1,2,3,4,5 etc. after the last file?
    b. put each page into a seperate file i.e
    Code:
    sites:
    second_scan
    aboutwriter
    movedhome
    and read it into the script?

so
    Code:
    cat ~/list | cat ${SOURCE}/{start,universal,*,end}.txt > ${SERVER}/*.html
    That way I can avoid having to remember the last filename and I can add an exit 0 onto the script to utilize proper exiting.
    Website - Very serious work in progress, I don't work on this as much as I'd like but I'm mainly looking at the backend right now.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Shell, Auto append number to file and read from external file.

bump
    Website - Very serious work in progress, I don't work on this as much as I'd like but I'm mainly looking at the backend right now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think I can see what you are trying to do; your trying to concatenate a static beginning and end around a different main content section to construct pages of your website.

But I'm trying to understand what you mean about appending numbers to the previous filename since I can't see an example of that behaviour in your output.

Presumably there's not a straight forward 1, 2, 3 etc. progression of dates - the only numbers I can see - since you don't blog every day.
    My Website. Computing resources, photos, articles etc.

Beans
    Distro

Well, Rather than me have to name each page, for them to just number themselves.
    I.E. My homepage now (index.html) will be called "volunteering", and the page after that will be called "Latest news" and so on and so forth.
    Instead of having them named, have them so it goes 1.html, 2.html, 3.html in the order they were created.

That way my homepage, the link to the previous blog entry would be href=12.html, and 12.html would link to 11.html...

Does that make more sense?