Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to wireless; firmware missing

Beans

Re: Can't connect to wireless; firmware missing

Wow chilli, you this Linux stuff. Your like a

Hope you can help me. After reading most of this thread, i'm pretty confident you can.

OK, just installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a mini usb stick and running it off that. How cool is that? An OS running off a thumb drive.

I'm stumbling my way around this OS and per this forum I am missing my firmware for my wifi. I have read a lot of this thread, so here's my info...

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci -nn |grep 0280
    02:09.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03)

I'm on a 2005 Gateway Laptop. Normally running Win XP. Now playing with Ubuntu.

Please square me away chilli. What do I need to make my wifi fly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just walk the laptop over to the router, get an ethernet connection and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter
    Now we unload the driver and reload it so the driver grabs the firmware:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rv b43
    sudo modprobe b43
    You should be all set...except...
    OK, just installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a mini usb stick and running it off that. How cool is that? An OS running off a thumb drive.
    Generally, USB drives contain the file system and the actual running occurs in the computer's RAM. That means when you shut down, the firmware you installed in RAM, not the USB file system, is gone. There are ways to keep the firmware on a separate partition on the USB key and install it every time you boot.

There are also ways to re-master the Ubuntu system to add and remove parts to your liking. That's a fairly advanced process, as you might guess.

Try any of that with Windows!

I hope you enjoy your Ubuntu adventure. We have a lot of fun!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu and I need some help. I'm getting the missing firmware for wireless Internet. I'm on a Dell laptop by the way. After reading a lot of this thread, I did:

lucas@ubuntu:~$ lspci -nn | grep 0280
    0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

Hopefully that gives you the information needed to fix the problem. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
    Walk that Dell over to the router, get an ethernet connection and open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo modprobe wl
    Detach the ethernet and you should have working wireless.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi all, First post and first problem of many I am sure. Have the wireless connection issue. I enter the key and it connects for about 10 seconds then disconnects. Just updated to 12.04 from 10.04 I think. Been a long time since I did it.
    Ran the script to find wireless info.
    03:03.0 network controller [280]; Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network connection [8086:4220] (rev 05)

After I walk it over to the ethernet connection, what do I do.

Also, everything seems to work really slowly compared to the last version.

Dell Latitude D610

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Palemoonrider View Post
    Hi all, First post and first problem of many I am sure. Have the wireless connection issue. I enter the key and it connects for about 10 seconds then disconnects. Just updated to 12.04 from 10.04 I think. Been a long time since I did it.
    Ran the script to find wireless info.
    03:03.0 network controller [280]; Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network connection [8086:4220] (rev 05)

After I walk it over to the ethernet connection, what do I do.

Also, everything seems to work really slowly compared to the last version.

Dell Latitude D610

Thanks in advance.
    Since there is no evidence at all that this is a 'firmware missing' issue, and I doubt it is, please start a new thread. Include the results of:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ipw
    sudo iwlist eth1 scan
    Thanks.

Beans

Hope someone is still reading. My problem is that if I install the Broadcom restricted driver, then "Network" does not even show me Wireless card exists. If I uninstall, then I see the Wireless card BUT it says Firmware not installed.

So bottom line, I'm screwed unless someone can give me some idea?

System:

Dell Inspiron 1720
    Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g

Beans

Okay my problem got solved but installing b43 from command line using sudo apt-get.

This is one reason I have not thrown away my last Windows computer. We can't rely on "restricted driver install"? I mean what can we rely on then?

I guess I need to figure out if my NVidia 3D Acceleration is correctly setup too...

Beans

Hello! I am currently new to ubuntu and am trying to set this laptop up for my mom. However, whenever I try to connect to the internet via wireless I have an issue due to firmware missing. As I have read through a good portion of this thread I have tried several of the suggestions given and am still having issues. One of which is the fact that I cannot get the drivers to install via additional drivers.

Attached/visible is the error that I keep getting. I also notice that codes are being made available to also grab the firmware, however I do not know where to input the codes. I will admit that I am more of a windows user, however, if I can figure this out I might just change to Ubuntu.

Please help, I really want to finish trouble shooting this as soon as possible due to the fact that I have my own laptop coming today that I have to setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@sparkysrath

As suggested in the previous replies, you'll need to connect to the Internet using an Ethernet cable ("Wired" network connection) and then use Additional Drivers to install the driver for your wireless adapter.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast