Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Such Partition

Beans

Exclamation No Such Partition

Ok, So I am REALLY new at Ubuntu, and do stupid things like this on a Monthly bases and I usually just reinstall Windows 7, however I have important files/programs on there installed making me not want to reinstall.

Now to the Problem:
    Today while installing a Game, I didn't have enough space to install it on Windows 7, and I had 100 GB for Ubuntu (Didn't think I would ever use 100 GB for Windows, but I did), So I deleted the Ubuntu Partition and added it to the Windows Partition. After Installing the Game I decided I would restart my Computer, and when it was starting I got the "No Such Partition" error.

Right now I'm using the computer with the Ubuntu Live CD.

So, My question is, is there anyway to fix this without having to Reinstall Ubuntu?

Oh, and I don't have a Windows Disk.
    I had the Newest Ubuntu Version Installed (10.10 I think it was).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: No Such Partition

I read your post twice. What happens when you try to boot your computer? Is it correct to say that you cannot boot either Windows 7 or Ubuntu 10.10?

Beans
    Hidden!

The Live cd has an application called gparted. Use it to format the partition to NTFS so Windows can read it.
    Linux User #449629

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bouwense View Post
    I read your post twice. What happens when you try to boot your computer? Is it correct to say that you cannot boot either Windows 7 or Ubuntu 10.10?
    Sorry about that.

I deleted the Ubuntu Partition to get the space that was used for it, and now Cannot boot Windows 7.

When I turn on the computer I get "No Such Partition".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xjesse View Post
    The Live cd has an application called gparted. Use it to format the partition to NTFS so Windows can read it.
    The Windows Partition is already NTFS.

Beans
    Hidden!

I can never edit my post anymore, why?
    Anyways, forget what I said. It seems you have no boot loader. You were relying on GRUB2 to boot up your Windows.

Now, unless you have an Windows CD which I know you said you don't, I recommend just reinstalling Ubuntu once again along side Windows. This time however, give Ubuntu maybe 20GB or less. Ubuntu doesn't need a whole lot that way you have a boot loader and you will still be dual booting. Does this make sense? I hope so.
    Linux User #449629

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xjesse View Post
    I can never edit my post anymore, why?
    Anyways, forget what I said. It seems you have no boot loader. You were relying on GRUB2 to boot up your Windows.

Now, unless you have an Windows CD which I know you said you don't, I recommend just reinstalling Ubuntu once again along side Windows. This time however, give Ubuntu maybe 20GB or less. Ubuntu doesn't need a whole lot that way you have a boot loader and you will still be dual booting. Does this make sense? I hope so.
    Ya, I understand.

I guess I will if thats the only way Possible without the Windows Disk (It was quite annoying having to Choose between the both yo boot).
    Thanks!
    Last edited by MadDogTen; October 30th, 2010 at 11:36 PM.

Beans

Just to get us an overview, could you post the console output of the command
    Code:
    sudo parted /dev/sda print
    ...assuming that /dev/sda is the hard drive which this all is about, i.e. the one your Windows partiton is located on?

You can open the console with CTRL+ALT+T or with ALT+F2 and typing in
    Code:
    gnome-termial
    fleder

EDIT: xjesse's suggestion seems good, try that one first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogTen View Post
    Sorry about that.

I deleted the Ubuntu Partition to get the space that was used for it, and now Cannot boot Windows 7.

When I turn on the computer I get "No Such Partition".
    It sounds like you deleted GRUB when you deleted the Ubuntu partition. Without that. you cannot boot. You can try to reinstall Ubuntu on a smaller partition to get GRUB back. Hopefully, it will let you boot both Windows Ubuntu.
    xjesse beat me to it. I type with two fingers.
    Last edited by Rex Bouwense; October 30th, 2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: OBE

Beans

I'm just screwing up left and right.

So, I was going to Re-install Ubuntu like you said.The Install Started, and Not long after it had an error. (I'm pretty sure it was because the disk was dirty.) So, I cleaned the Disk, Started it all back up, then it was showing the previous 20 GB it tried to use for the Failed Install.

I deleted the Partition, tried to add it back to the windows one, and it had an error. So I just said forget it and Tried to Install it Again on the windows Partition and Deal with that problem later.

However, now the 1st option I had before to Install Side by Side is gone.

Me and computers just don't go together.
    Last edited by MadDogTen; October 31st, 2010 at 12:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast