Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I remove Rhythmbox from the indicator applet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How can I remove Rhythmbox from the indicator applet?

I started using Banshee. Having Rhythmbox always in the sound menu is redundant. Is it possible to remove it from there? I would like to keep the applet, not the Rhythbox launcher/controller.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I remove Rhythmbox from the indicator applet?

Quote Originally Posted by ahorriblemess View Post
    I started using Banshee. Having Rhythmbox always in the sound menu is redundant. Is it possible to remove it from there? I would like to keep the applet, not the Rhythbox launcher/controller.
    Why do you want to remove it from the sound menu? If you want to keep the applet, if you remove it then you will have to launch it from the command line. If you don't plan to use it for a long period of time, then uninstall it and just reinstall it when you need it again. That will take it out of the menu.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Right-click your main menu, choose "Edit Menus". Highlight "Sound and Video" in the left pane of the window that opens and uncheck Rhythmbox in the right pane.

Beans
    Distro

@irv: I want to remove it because I don't use it anymore. I thought Rhythmbox was attached to ubuntu-desktop (wasn't it in the past?)

I just uninstalled it, I didn't know I could do that.

@hhh: I wasn't talking about the gnome menu, I meant the menu that pops up when you click on the volume indicator.

Beans
    Hidden!

see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...61&postcount=5

delete ~/.cache/indicators/sound/familiar-players-db.keyfile, then restart the panel with killall gnome-panel

If you prefer a simpler volume control, see here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-rem...stem-tray.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, wanchai! I had this same issue and I was able to fix it. Appreciate the help.

Beans
    Distro

Hm, this is actually strange: Rhythmbox suddenly appeared in my sound indicator even though I've never ever started it - and the file mentioned above (~/.cache/indicators/sound/familiar-players-db.keyfile) does not exist, i.e. there is no ~/.cache/indicators/sound/ directory. Are there other ways of removing Rhythmbox from the sound indicator that do not require complete uninstallation? (I'd like to avoid that, as AFAIK Rhythmbox is part of ubuntu-desktop - correct me if I'm wrong here though).

Best wishes,
    Karsten

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ngc2997 View Post
    Hm, this is actually strange: Rhythmbox suddenly appeared in my sound indicator even though I've never ever started it - and the file mentioned above (~/.cache/indicators/sound/familiar-players-db.keyfile) does not exist, i.e. there is no ~/.cache/indicators/sound/ directory. Are there other ways of removing Rhythmbox from the sound indicator that do not require complete uninstallation? (I'd like to avoid that, as AFAIK Rhythmbox is part of ubuntu-desktop - correct me if I'm wrong here though).

Best wishes,
    Karsten
    Actually, Rhythmbox is not part of the ubuntu-desktop meta package. You can safely remove it if you wish without affecting your updates.

As to the other problem of having Rhythmbox in the sound indicator, I unfortunately do not have an answer for you.
    Give a man a fire, he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

- Unknown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did this to remove the rhythmbox from the indicators menu.

Code:
     gsettings set com.canonical.indicators.sound blacklisted-media-players "['rhythmbox']"

Beans

my ipod classic 6th gen used to work fine, but now when i plug it in to my win xp computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast