Thread: Alienware m14x Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Alienware m14x Ubuntu 12.10

I am currently looking at buying an Alienware m14x gaming laptop. I have looked everywhere and can not get a definite answer of whether or not Ubuntu 12.10 can be installed using Wubi or as the only OS. If it can what problems if any can not currently be fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Alienware m14x Ubuntu 12.10

can not get a definite answer of whether or not Ubuntu 12.10 can be installed using Wubi or as the only OS
    Yeah, because nobody does that. :) As far as I understand, it might be possible to achieve what you want as long you as you use a separate partition for each of the following:
    - Windows boot files
    - Windows installation
    - Ubuntu installation

Then you could delete the Windows partition. But that's pure theory. Why would you go through all the trouble if you don't need Windows in the first place? Not to mention that Wubi isn't recommended for permanent installations anyway.

Beans

Ok so if I was to wipe windows off the hard drive and install Ubuntu would it work fine?

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Most probably, yes. But since it's a gaming laptop you should consider that not so many games have native Linux versions. Some Windows games are playable on Linux with Wine but not all.

Beans

Can anyone else add wether or not they think or know that it will work if I remove windows and just install ubuntu

Beans

I have an m14x and I have tried to install Ubuntu 12.10....I am back on windows 7 now..... but if you find a way that works, please let me know....
    I am thinking to just by a ubuntu certified pc....