Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Rosewill RNX-N150PC PCI Ralink 3060 chip driver instructions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Rosewill RNX-N150PC PCI Ralink 3060 chip driver instructions

please explain what the difference is between modprobe rt3562sta and rt2800pci
    rt3562sta is the compiled from source code driver that wouldn't compile for you. We might have been able to work out the method, but why? The native driver rt2800pci works for you with no compiling.
    how do you know? How would have I been able to find the answer?
    Become a driver monkey by studying such things for 10-12 hours a day for ten or so years. No-one expects anyone to do that; that's why there is a forum where you can tap into the OCD sickos who love this stuff and then retreat before you get the rash.

The native driver may be blacklisted, the usual process when you compile a driver. Please check:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    If there are any 'blacklist rt2800pci' or similar lines in there, remove them. Proofread, save and close gedit. Now let's get rt2800pci to load on boot automatically:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    Add one thing at the end:
    Code:
    rt2800pci
    Proofread, save and close gedit. Reboot.

Now does your wireless work as expected automatically? If so, use thread tools at the top to mark Solved, so the searchers can learn and then retreat before you get the rash.

Seriously, if you need further assistance, post back.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Post Re: Rosewill RNX-N150PC PCI Ralink 3060 chip driver instructions

Quote Originally Posted by valem View Post
    Thanks chili555! It came alive and connected right after modprobe rt2800pci ...
    Excuse my ignorance, but can you please explain what the difference is between modprobe rt3562sta and rt2800pci and also, how do you know? How would have I been able to find the answer?
    Thanks again!!
    It is simple, the two commands load two different drivers. rt2800pci is the driver included with the standard Ubuntu system, whereas rt3562sta is the proprietary driver from the chipset maker, Ralink.

I can currently use either driver on my system (also an RT3062 chipset). rt3562sta performs better, but rt2800pci seems to have more features. For example, I get an IPv6 address with rt2800pci, but not with rt3562sta.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

I enjoyed your answer thanks!!
    Yes, rt2800pci was blacklisted!
    In modules, I addedrt2800pci, and after reboot it works, but should I remove rt3562sta.ko from modules?
    So after future updates I won't have to go through all the steps again to get my wireless working?

Beans

I see, that makes sense! Thanks Tim.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by valem View Post
    I enjoyed your answer thanks!!
    Yes, rt2800pci was blacklisted!
    In modules, I addedrt2800pci, and after reboot it works, but should I remove rt3562sta.ko from modules?
    So after future updates I won't have to go through all the steps again to get my wireless working?
    Not necessary because it didn't get built properly:
    At the last step, after modprobe rt3562sta I get the following:

FATAL: Error inserting rt3562sta (/lib/modules/3.2.0-24-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3562sta.ko): Invalid module format
    If you wanted to be OCD super-sanitary, you could go into the build directory in a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo su
    make uninstall
    exit
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415