Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unity testers, would you like to see this?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Unity testers, would you like to see this?

Wow, I actually got a reply from the man himself I'm in nerd bliss right now.

Apparently he wants to keep the current layout (for now, he says politely) but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

I made a final mockup summarizing the idea's main points, because it changed a lot after getting some feedback in the mailing list. So here it is:

I can't help it, I just love the way it looks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bou View Post
    Wow, I actually got a reply from the man himself I'm in nerd bliss right now.

I can't help it, I just love the way it looks.
    Well.... I also like your ideas...

And also a reply from "sabdfl" himself....=D>

I must also post this with an interesting discussion included.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/inter...-managing.html

I hope we will se more ideas from you Bou.... much appreciated !

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by plun View Post
    Followup from OmgUbuntu
    Got a lot of retweets too... glad to see so many people did appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by plun View Post
    I hope we will se more ideas from you Bou.... much appreciated !
    Here's another one, plun. I just sent it to the mailing list:

Hi,

One of the few problems I have with Unity is that there is no way to perform window-specific actions from the launcher: everything is app-specific. I can press the launcher icon to focus an app's most recent window, but I can't focus a specific window. I can't minimize a window by clicking the launcher icon, see an app's different windows without focusing it, or launch a new window.

I propose replacing Unity's current behaviour when you hover on a launcher icon (where you only get the app's name) with something like this:

- When you hover the cursor over Unity's launcher icon, you get a preview of all the open windows belonging to that app.
    - If one of them is the active window, it has some kind of visual indication (in the mockup it has an orange box around).
    - You can click the active window to minimize it, or click an inactive window to focus it.
    - You can right-click a window to get a contextual menu, where you can perform operations such as minimize, maximize, close, send to another workspace...
    - You can click a button (in the mockup, located at the left) in order to open a new window for that app.
    - You can drag that specific window, which solves the problem raised by Mark Shuttleworth (https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bu...45/comments/10) about dragging launcher icons to other workspaces.

I would like the Ayatana team to consider implementing along the lines.
    Truth be told, Unity is shaping up to be amazing but, being a new tool, it has lots of room for improvement.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    The only objection I have is the damned purple but I bet I can change that in a hurry. Ghastly color. Better than the ailamentary tract brown in 9.10 though.
    This was my reaction exactly.

I do like the ideas floating around here though.

Beans

This is an excellent idea that shows clear thinking, as opposed to just copying functionality others have. Most of the time I use one workspace, but when I need to, I want to easily drag an icon to the next one. Your interface makes this trivial.

Is there a brainstorm for this idea so that I (and others) may vote for it?

Beans
    Distro

There is a launchpad bug as well as a discussion in the Ayatana mailing list, where your opinion would be welcome. I haven't used brainstorm for a while, but I can start a thread there if you guys think it's worth it.

Beans
    Distro

Wow, it seems that the gnome-shell guys intend to make the shell work as I suggested, at least regarding the automatic workspace management

Quote Originally Posted by Bou
    The idea is that you always have one (but not more) empty workspace. When you boot up your system you only have a workspace, since there are no open windows. But as soon as you open a window, a second empty workspace appears at the end of the workspace sidebar. You can open as many windows as you want on the first workspace and it won’t affect the number of workspaces, but as soon as you open a window on the second workspace, or move one to it, a third workspace would appear.

Likewise, closing the last window of a workspace or moving it to another workspace would make that workspace disappear, since it is empty now and there must always be only one empty workspace
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmac
    That is indeed the direction we’re going with this now

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down A different take on workspace management

This is what I'd like to see happen in Unity:

Code:
    $ ps aux|egrep 'CPU|xmonad-i386'
    USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
    frank     1731  0.0  0.3  11820  3012 ?        Ss   Nov19   0:55 /home/frank/.xmonad/xmonad-i386-linux
    A window manager which takes less than 3 MiB in resident memory. It currently manages 9 workspaces, each with their own name and function (Terminal, Editor, Graphics, Web, Mail, eXperimental, Audio, Video and remote (Z)). Newly opened windows appear in relevant workspaces, eg. a new browser window appears in workspace 'Web' while a graphics program like Gimp or a viewer like gqview pops up in the 'Graphics' workspace. Those workspaces are represented by simple symbols which light up when something interesting happens. You can use the keyboard (alt+workspace number) to switch to a workspace or you can click on those symbols. The little green picture next to the workspace symbols shows the current workspace tiling mode (full-screen in this case). On the right you'll find some system statistics as well as the notification area.

A visual application launcher can be added for those who dislike typing 'Alt+P' followed by the first 2 or 3 characters of an application name. There are many candidates for this task (awn, cairo-dock, gnome-do, etc) so I won't elaborate on this. It is of course also possible to integrate that launcher as an optional extension in case more intimate interaction between the window manager and the launcher is required.

The beauty of this system is that is takes minimal system resources AND makes for a much more productive system - no more senseless window shuffling needed - but it is still possible for those who prefer it. It can also be customized to the user's exact requirements. Mind, it does not need to be customized any more than eg. Gnome Shell or Unity needs to be customized. It can be customized - a big difference and a big advantage.

This version of the idea is written in Haskell, including the configuration file. The same things can be done in any other compiled language (eg. Vala) if Haskell seems to daunting a prospect for a noob-focused distribution - but since noobs generally won't mess with their configuration files it should really not matter. Interpreted languages like python, ruby and javascript (viz. Gnome Shell) can also be used but will invariably raise resource requirements and lower performance on lower-spec hardware.

To summarize, it is possible to provide excellent functionality in a small footprint system. It does not require the use of compositing but of course this can be used if available for more glitzy effects. This opens up the system for lower-spec or older hardware which, for whatever reason (lack of hardware or - more commonly - driver support, absolute low power requirements, etc) can not support compositing while still keeping the door wide open for as flashy a desktop as the user wants. I happen to like my desktop compact and concise so I used simple and small symbols. If you want to see purple squares with smooth sliding icons that can be arranged as well.
    [ "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est." ]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast