Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No applications in Unity

Beans

Question No applications in Unity

I have had a rough afternoon. I went on Thanksgiving vacation with my family. When I left, both Maverick and Natty were ok. After being away for several days, naturally there were updates for both when I came back.

First, Maverick got a new kernel. After installing, it told me to reboot to complete the update. When I rebooted, the new kernel didn't show up in the grub2 menu, but it started the old kernel just fine. I decided to go to Natty and run update-grub. It ran successfully, but found nothing on my Maverick partition. I had to fix it by running the Maverick Live DVD and reinstalling grub2. Luckily, that worked.

On to Natty. Hundreds of updates, including a new kernel. "sudo aptitude update" ran ok, but "sudo aptitude safe-upgrade" hung after it said it was unpacking useradd. I went and made a sandwich, ate it, came back, and it was still in the same place. So, I rebooted and ran the safe-upgrade, again. It ran farther, this time, but hung when it was configuring grub2. Waited a long time again, bailed out, and of course, when I tried to reboot, there was no entry for Natty.

So I ran update-grub in Maverick and it found Natty and made it selectable from grub2.

Now, I boot to Natty and it comes up with a new Unity interface. It looks nice, but I cannot find a way to run my apps. The only Unity icons are for Firefox, Empathy, Tomboy, and workspace switcher. None of my apps are in any of the menus. The only panel indicators are for Sound Volume, Email, Calendar, Me, and the Shutdown/Restart/etc... I can't even open a Terminal window.

How do I get icons or menu entries for my applications?

What a day!

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No applications in Unity

Binary names in the terminal or Alt-F2

Beans
    Distro

Alt+F1 opens the application menu from the classic desktop which seems to be behind the top bar, but not clickable.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: No applications in Unity

Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    Alt+F1 opens the application menu from the classic desktop which seems to be behind the top bar, but not clickable.
    Thank you. I will try it the next chance I get.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro

If you can somehow remove the application-places-system menu from your gnome panel, Alt+f1 will bring the menu at the tip of your mouse pointer. This is faster than the traditional menu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Option 1: right-click on the desktop, create a launcher for the gnome-terminal, start the apps from there.

Option 2: use gsettings (from the libglib2.0-bin package) to set the list of launcher icons in the launcher bar:
    Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher favorites "['nautilus.desktop','gnome-terminal.desktop','gedit.desktop', ...]"
    See the /usr/share/applications folder for valid names.

Option 3: wait until Unity is mature enough to allow you to open applications and pin them to the launcher bar.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro

# Had to go to true terminal graphical terminal was freaking out. and sudo apt-get purge unity and same with ubuntu-desktop and same with ubuntu-netbook why netbook in natty I do not know but when ran then had to run a sudo apt-get autoremove. Then reinstall ubuntu-desktop: seems as though unity offending package for now.(unity working now 11-29-10 installed).
    All seems well now:
    #Have 2 installs one a fresh install at 11.04 inception aptitude safe-upgrade was fine.
    1 install dist-upgraded since 9.04 was one that had to be fixed a bit.
    Works fine now:
    #Oh yes removed cairo-dock she freaked out a bit. Why I had cairo-dock running on a Alpha is beyond me anyway.
    ###Stopped reading sticky's in natty this all caught me by surprise over Holidays:
    Last edited by garvinrick4; November 29th, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:
    http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
    Main Page -

Beans
    Distro

I'm going to try to learn to love Unity. After all, Maverick is my work system; Natty is just for fun now.

I just installed Natty, and the above tips make it possible to start applications.

The gsettings command is working for me. I found I needed to open the Properties of each file in /usr/share/applications and use the command name plus ".desktop".

It looks like there's room for about 17 icons on my screen, and I'll be hoping for a way to access more program than that, either with drawers or a menu icon (there may already be something for that which I haven't found yet).

Lane
    Last edited by LaneLester; November 29th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
    Lane Lester
    The Web Doctor

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MacUntu View Post
    use gsettings (from the libglib2.0-bin package) to set the list of launcher icons in the launcher bar:
    Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher favorites "['nautilus.desktop','gnome-terminal.desktop','gedit.desktop', ...]"
    That command returns: 62-63:invalid character in number

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nperry View Post
    That command returns: 62-63:invalid character in number
    You typed the dots, didn't you?

It's a list, so it should look like: "['a','b','c']"
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast