Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiz won't run at all now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Compiz won't run at all now

I ran some updates late last night some of which were for compiz. I rebooted after and the cairo dock was displayed correctly and it included a new icon design for one of the applets.
    During the course of the night I had occasion to reboot and now compiz won't run at all. It doesn't start on reboot and if I run compiz --replace the desktop flashes and windows top bar disappears. Desktop effects cannot be enabled either even though I have the up to date nvidia driver. The desktop became totally unresponsive one time and I needed to REISUB to reboot.
    Compiz has not run since that first time.
    Anybody else having similar problems?
    Thanks.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Compiz won't run at all now

Yep....

Start ccsm

Go to preferences, change backend to gconf

Code:
    compiz -- replace
    Done.... the Unity plugin is probably still broken.

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Compiz won't run at all now

Yep--there was a "update" last evening to enable the "Unity plugin" so Unity would start by default...I just let it with my Unity-testing install & went to ccsm before I rebooted in my Gnome-Shell testing Natty install.....Sure enough, the plugin was checked--so it would have b0rked my GS install real good.....

If you can't get to ccsm--just post & we'll work you thru it..............
    Last edited by autocrosser; November 28th, 2010 at 01:04 AM.
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by autocrosser View Post
    Yep--there was a "update" last evening to enable the "Unity plugin" so Unity would start by default...I just let it with my Unity-testing install & went to ccsm before I rebooted in my Gnome-Shell testing Natty install.....Sure enough, the plugin was checked--so it would have b0rked my GS install real good.....
    Well... it just broke for me....switching from ini to gconf backend solved the Compiz challenge for me...

Unity is discussed in another thread...

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Compiz won't run at all now

I'm all over it

Running a fresh alternate-install .iso--just loaded it last night & Unity is in by default (good for me--I was reloading my b0rked Unity install anyway)--that plugin was one of the first updates I got last night......

How's the build-branch going? I'm in my Unity right now--very nice with 3.2--looks good....

Here's mine.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the info plun but it only worked for about 5 seconds!
    Cairo dock displayed as it should (with compiz running) and all was good except no wobbly windows. I enabled wobbly windows and all hell broke loose. The desktop flashed, all windows lost their borders and top bar. Compiz stopped running and cairo dock changed to the "non-compiz" shape.
    So I rebooted.
    No panel applets (with error messages about each) but cairo dock appeared in its compiz-running state. Then all panels and cairo dock disappeared completely.
    REISUB reboot
    Desktop comes back with compiz running but no top panel applets. I clicked on reload for all 5 of them but only the date applet appeared. No Wireless and no internet.
    Rebooted again and it is now as above, except that I'm connected to the router via ethernet.
    Any suggestions would be good.
    Thanks
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by autocrosser View Post
    How's the build-branch going? I'm in my Unity right now--very nice with 3.2--looks good....
    Well, "nema problema"....

Just that I needs a menu for all apps.....equal stupid as GS for the monent...IMHO..

Beans
    Distro

What you might try is create a new user & test if the same thing is happening there--My thought is that your /home is kind'a b0rked.....

I needed to do that with the reinstall I did last night--my prefs were all arf'd up & the easy fix was to just throw it all out & start over---helps that I have multiple installs--I just pull what I need over after the install is up & running.....
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've created a new user and had to reboot to get to it and now I'm using a different looking desktop with no Applications/Places/Admin menu. Has it defaulted to Unity?
    No wireless though, so doesn't look all that fixed at the moment.
    Thanks for input
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro

If it looks kind'a like the picture I posted above--Yes you are now using Unity.....I customised my side bar & have Conky on the right side....
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast