Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing ubuntu onto a USB stick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installing ubuntu onto a USB stick

Hello

I wish to install a fully working Ubuntu system on my 16GB USB disk so that when I boot from my USB stick I get directly into Ubuntu. I do not want to be prompted with the option of "Try Ubuntu" or "Install Ubuntu". How do I do this?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Installing ubuntu onto a USB stick

Hi.

I don't think this is easily possible.

I suppose you can try installing ubuntu on your usb key. That means that when you put your CD in your computer, you will have a choice of where to install ubuntu. At that point you can choose your USB key for installation.

BUT! When you remove it what will happen? Where will grub be installed? Can you plug it on another computer?

I have a few serious doubts.
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Are you doing this from Windows or Linux ?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I do not want to screw up GRUB. I need some sort of Casper partition and a partition for my files (/home directory). Ubuntu has such a nice way of making a USB startup disk.

Is there no program which will let me install ubuntu on a USB so that I can boot it from any computer and have Ubuntu running?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Are you doing this from Windows or Linux ?
    Either works for me. I have dual boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try to follow this tutorial, it is for BT4, but it should work for ubuntu: [URL="http://www.infosecramblings.com/backtrack/backtrack-4-usbpersistent-changesnessus/"]

Beans
    Distro

What I usually do is to create a Live USB with persistence in the normal way. Then I do the following:
    1. remove the ubiquity package.
    2. create a new user
    3. disable auto login.

I am left with a system that boots to the login screen and allows me to login with my newly created user.

HTH
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arubislander View Post
    I am left with a system that boots to the login screen and allows me to login with my newly created user.

HTH
    Sounds good! I now have a persistence disk of 4GB. How would I utilize, the rest of the USB stick. It is 16 GB in size.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ndefontenay View Post
    I suppose you can try installing ubuntu on your usb key. That means that when you put your CD in your computer, you will have a choice of where to install ubuntu. At that point you can choose your USB key for installation.

BUT! When you remove it what will happen? Where will grub be installed? Can you plug it on another computer?
    GRUB is installed to /dev/sda by default. However, if you click the Advanced button on the final installer screen, you can install GRUB to your USB device (for example maybe /dev/sdb) instead. You could also just unplug your internal HDD during the install (so the USB is the only disk connected).

An Ubuntu USB install should boot fine on other computers (why wouldn't it?) unless of course you do something silly like try the 64-bit version on a 32-bit machine.

I have not tested this yet with 10.10 but it worked OK with past releases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast