Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo email

Beans

Yahoo email

Hi All,
    This may or may not be a Ubuntu problem, but in the last few months, whenever I have replied to a message in my Yahoo email account, the cursor has disappeared. More recently when I press 'send', replying or on a new message, the image 'clicks', but nothing happens. I have tried with the mouse and the left button, but neither work. I have to select and copy the message, close down the internet, restart it, get into my account, paste the message into a new email and then it will work. Having said that, just today it will only send one message without having to restart the internet. Does this sound familiar to anyone and is it more likely to be Ubuntu (8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525) or Yahoo's sight?
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Yahoo email

upgrade to ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Honestly, it sounds like a browser issue. I forget what version of Firefox was loaded with Ubuntu 8.10, but it's likely pretty outdated (3.0? 2.5?).

I would suggest that you update to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it's the next in the LTS release cycle and has much more updated software. And, it's not even bleeding edge at this time, we're already at 10.04.1, so it's really quite stable.

You may choose to run "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" from the command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Try it with Chromium or Arora, both work fine on my Yahoo accounts (so does Firefox but there could be a problem with the older version, although it was never a problem when I ran the older versions of Ubuntu & Firefox)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    Toshiba Equuium 100A RR. Asus A54C Mint Nadia. Zoostorm desktop RR.
    Linux user # 456165. Ubuntu user # 19504.

Beans

Am I right in believing I should back everything up before upgrading? If so is there a clever way of copying a vast ammount of photos and music to a seperate hard drive without buggering everything up? Is there anything I should know about hard drives and Ubuntu before I go out and buy the cheapest one from Maplins? Will I lose LinDVD which came pre-installed and which I have found to be the best of all the DVD players I have tried? Please note I am relatively technophobic, hence still running on 8.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Doyle View Post
    Is there anything I should know about hard drives and Ubuntu before I go out and buy the cheapest one from Maplins?
    Do you mean a bare hard drive or external USB hard drive? If a bare hard drive, go anywhere but Maplins, unless you are made of money. If a USB drive, compare prices with Staples and PCWorld before you buy. I bought a 1TB Western Digital Elements drive from PCWorld for £54.99 a few days ago. I could have saved a few bob by ordering from an online retailer, but then I would have had the courier charge to pay for, which would have made it more expensive. That's an unusually good price for PCWorld.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Am I right in believing I should back everything up before upgrading? If so is there a clever way of copying a vast ammount of photos and music to a seperate hard drive without buggering everything up?
    Certainly, I would recommend upgrading. You'll find a lot more features in 10.04 LTS and the newest version, 10.10. Most importantly, though, the changes won't require you to relearn a lot of new ways of doing things.

If you're sure your computer meets the hardware specifications, you can automatically upgrade through your "Updates" program on Ubuntu in the "System" -> "Administration" folder. (Sorry if the titles aren't 100% accurate - I don't use the English version of Ubuntu.)

When you upgrade this way, all of your files, settings, etc., remain as they were, so you don't have to worry about reinstalling everything all over again. (That said, it's always a good idea to make backups of your important files.)

However... you can only upgrade to the next-newest version of Ubuntu this way. And each upgrade can take upwards of a couple of hours. So, you'd have to go from 8.04 to 8.10 to 9.04 to 9.10 to 10.04 (and then to 10.10 if you want). So, if you're going to do this, you'll have to invest some time.

The other option is to download/buy/somehow acquire a live CD copy of the latest version of Ubuntu and install it that way. It's a faster process, but you will be starting from scratch and will need to reinstall all of your files, settings, etc., again.

Beans

....Does this sound familiar to anyone and is it more likely to be Ubuntu (8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525) or Yahoo's sight?
    Cheers
    "Yahoo classic" mode works fine on that and even firefox 1.5 on Dapper.

Beans

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll back everything up on a usb hard drive and upgrade. In the meantime I forgot I had installed Opera some time ago when I had internet speed problems and it works perfectly on Yahoo mail.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

But I get exactly these symptoms with Yahoo Mail - on a purely XP machine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast