Thread: Linux Newbie - need help with wireless, etc

Beans

Linux Newbie - need help with wireless, etc

Ok I got my linux machine up and running. I had to wrap a windows driver for my wireless USB (netgear wpn111) using ndiswrapper.

My first question is...is there a native linux driver that I could use for this device?
    And second...I have set up the driver to load whenever the computer is booted but I am wondering if there is a way to use sudo so that I don't have to type:
    sudo dhclient wlan1
    every time I boot up.
    I attempted to create a BASH script to run at start up but I am sure most people reading this would know that is not the answer.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Linux Newbie - need help with wireless, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ccdwiu View Post
    My first question is...is there a native linux driver that I could use for this device?
    No, I don't believe there is a native driver yet. Since it has an Atheros chipset it's under the jurisdiction of madwifi but I don't believe the stick's particular chipset is supported yet. All three of the madwifi project's drivers (madwifi, ath5k, and ath9k) should be loaded and ready to go if appropriate hardware is detected.

Unlike Windoze, if there is a driver available, when you connect the hardware the correct driver should automatically load. I've only run across one time where I have had to download and install a driver the good old fashioned way.

And second...I have set up the driver to load whenever the computer is booted but I am wondering if there is a way to use sudo so that I don't have to type:
    sudo dhclient wlan1
    every time I boot up.
    Can you see the wireless connection in Network Manager? Head to System -> Preferences -> Network Connections. Click on the Wireless tab and if the connection appears then click on it and then click Edit... Make sure you tick "Connect automatically" at the top of the window, and on the IPv4 Settings tab that Method is set to Automatic (DHCP).

Or, if you've tried that, and it doesn't work...

Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    and add
    Code:
    auto wlan1
    iface wlan1 inet dhcp
    to the top of the file, on two separate lines exactly as shown.
    Last edited by Der Ritter; October 27th, 2010 at 02:38 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Der Ritter View Post
    No, I don't believe there is a native driver yet. Since it has an Atheros chipset it's under the jurisdiction of madwifi but I don't believe the stick's particular chipset is supported yet. All three of the madwifi project's drivers (madwifi, ath5k, and ath9k) should be loaded and ready to go if appropriate hardware is detected.

Unlike Windoze, if there is a driver available, when you connect the hardware the correct driver should automatically load. I've only run across one time where I have had to download and install a driver the good old fashioned way.

Can you see the wireless connection in Network Manager? Head to System -> Preferences -> Network Connections. Click on the Wireless tab and if the connection appears then click on it and then click Edit... Make sure you tick "Connect automatically" at the top of the window, and on the IPv4 Settings tab that Method is set to Automatic (DHCP).

Or, if you've tried that, and it doesn't work...

Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    and add
    Code:
    auto wlan1
    iface wlan1 inet dhcp
    to the top of the file, on two separate lines exactly as shown.
    Thank you for the reply but unfortunately the connection is not listed under network connections. I also had to set up as static IP because whenever I would request an IP under dhcp my request would just time out.
    Could you possibly tell me how to set it up under static?
    Also, my home network has WEP encryption. That being said, I am also forced to type

sudo iwconfig wlan1 key xxxxxxx

every time I boot up

Can you help me with this also? Thank you

Beans

Thank you for the reply but unfortunately the connection is not listed under network connections. I also had to set up as static IP because whenever I would request an IP under dhcp my request would just time out.
    Could you possibly tell me how to set it up under static?
    Also, my home network has WEP encryption. That being said, I am also forced to type

sudo iwconfig wlan1 key xxxxxxx

every time I boot up

Can you help me with this also? Thank you
    OK, go back and edit /etc/network/interfaces. Add this (and remove the text from my other post if you added it):

Code:
    iface wlan1 inet static
    wireless-essid [SSID]
    wireless-key [KEY]
    address [ADDRESS]
    netmask [ADDRESS]
    gateway [ADDRESS]
    obviously replacing [ADDRESS], [SSID] and [KEY] with the appropriate values. Save and restart and see if that works.

Beans

AH yes thank you so much, I was missing the wireless-key in that file.
    Thanks a ton!