Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nvidia (GT210) hot / no fan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: nvidia (GT210) hot / no fan

Does the nvidia-settings utility work correctly?
    I would try purging the driver and reinstalling it.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Nevada (GT210) hot / no fan

The info is correct , your card has no fanspeed control , that card runs the same speed all the time . Try cleaning the card and connections and take static precautions.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    The info is correct , your card has no fanspeed control , that card runs the same speed all the time . Try cleaning the card and connections and take static precautions.
    Hi FrogsHair thanks for the info !! I took out the card to have a look, it looked clean, but i noticed that compared to my CPU fan, i needed to put a bit more force into my fingers to turn it, i cleaned it as much i could with compressed air and put it back again; after startup i saw the fan moving but not really turning so i took it out again and cleaned it more/ pushed the fan up-down on its axis and so on.... strangely, but after startup the fan made like one turn per 5 seconds, the frequency increased eventually and now, after 5minutes it's pretty fast i can't read the letters in the turning circle and feel cool wind when approaching with my fingers; the GPU temp is now down to 45 C..i wonder if there is a sensor to tell me how fast the fan is spinning now so i can check occasionally
    strange, the card/pc is like 9months old...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by debili View Post
    I've recently reset my Bios to defaults, could that be in some way related ?

thanks
    Nope, that shouldnt make any difference at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by debili View Post
    Hi FrogsHair thanks for the info !! I took out the card to have a look, it looked clean, but i noticed that compared to my CPU fan, i needed to put a bit more force into my fingers to turn it, i cleaned it as much i could with compressed air and put it back again; after startup i saw the fan moving but not really turning so i took it out again and cleaned it more/ pushed the fan up-down on its axis and so on.... strangely, but after startup the fan made like one turn per 5 seconds, the frequency increased eventually and now, after 5minutes it's pretty fast i can't read the letters in the turning circle and feel cool wind when approaching with my fingers; the GPU temp is now down to 45 C..i wonder if there is a sensor to tell me how fast the fan is spinning now so i can check occasionally
    strange, the card/pc is like 9months old...
    Siezed bearing. Sometimes they are fixable by 'forcing' the fan to spin, but in a lot of cases, its a temporay solution.

Cheaper cards are more likely to have problems like that...but its prety rare for it to happen after 9 months.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Nope, that shouldnt make any difference at all.

Siezed bearing. Sometimes they are fixable by 'forcing' the fan to spin, but in a lot of cases, its a temporay solution.

Cheaper cards are more likely to have problems like that...but its prety rare for it to happen after 9 months.
    well i can recognize there is a bit of 'uncommon' sound whet the fan spins fast...hope that doesn't mean it'll stop again in a few weeks.
    could you recommend any simple fan-speed monitor ? is it even measured on this type of graphic card?

Beans

sorry, I dont know of any fanspeed monitor for nvidia cards for linux. Pretty much all the cards I'm running are passive cooled, so no fan at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

The NVIDIA X Server Settings gui under System > Administration usually shows fan speed under Thermal Settings (actually no settings there, just monitoring). But my GT 220 has variable speed fan and someone said yours is fixed speed (when it is running). Or another way to get info in terminal is: nvidia-smi -q -d

This is idle:

Code:
    Driver Version            : 260.19.12

GPU 0:
        Product Name        : GeForce GT 220
        PCI Device/Vendor ID    : a2010de
        PCI Location ID        : 0:1:0
        Display            : Connected
        Temperature        : 29 C
        Fan Speed        : 20%
        Utilization
            GPU            : 0%