Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: server partitioning

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: server partitioning

Quote Originally Posted by chideock View Post
    Changing the flag to 'yes' is required for the install to complete properly.
    Why do you think that?

Beans

Why do you not think that?

A suggestion as the how to get the flag to change to yes would be of help. I have tried just enter, just the spacebar, just tab, and any other combination of keystrokes and methods to reset the flag - not happening.

Checking a post in the Installation section I am not the only having the exact same problem. I have reloaded the server cd more than 10 times in attempts to do things differently and all to the same effect no change to yes on the flag and the install will not proceed from that point with the flag set in NO.

Following the instructions here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/SoftwareRAID " Installation Software RAID". The "bootable flag" can not be changed by any method I have tried as mentioned above. So I ignored changing the flag and continued with the rest of the sintructions to #9 Once done, select finish.. I do that - select finish - and the server returns to the partition menu and then faults out with ERROR!! "Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition." After that the server install fails and I am into starting from cleaning the HDs and reloading from scratch.

Using 2 HD want to setup a RAID 1.

I have tried the advanced Install from here http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverg...tallation.html - same problem.

and

I have tried using Maverick 10.10 CD (not alternate) install same issue.

The system should allow the flag to be set and it does not.
    Last edited by chideock; October 27th, 2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro

Maybe it should allow it to be set, but it does not matter and should continue just fine without it. Maybe you forgot to define a root ( / ) partition and that's the problem?

Beans

No I followed both sets of instruction to the letter. What I have found out is that both these sets of instruction are wrong, at least for the most current versions of Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu server.

Use this link as a guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x2rZe2Z9as&NR=1

It works and one finds that one does not have to even bother with the "boot flag"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did that also the flag did not change.
    worked for me when i checked and made that screenshot.
    That was with an 8.04 mini iso (just wanted to check which key would toggle it)

so there may be a problem with the version you're using - you might want to check if there's a bug report or a mention in the documentation about this.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Traditionally you've needed to set the bootable (or, more correctly, "active") flag by hand. It looks like the 10.10 installer does it automagically as part of the grub2 install. I had the same problem: could not toggle on/off. After the install and first boot, an fdisk -l /dev/sda verifies that the bootable/active flag is indeed set, even though the UI wouldn't allow it during the install.

Beans

It seems that the instructions are wrong in having one try to change the "bootable flag". That should be ignored.

I found that I had undiscovered errors on the live Cd I had burned which probably was causing my problems in getting a system installed. I see now that the Live CD has a Cd-ROM error checker using that first would probably have solved some of the problems.

I managed even then to get a system up with 2 RAID partitions, swap and "/" root but have had no luck with more partitions than that. I tried a new 10.04.1 CD but the system errored out in tring to install the system files on a 3 partition setup - root, swap and /home.

What size would I need for a root partition to get the system installed?
    Last edited by chideock; October 30th, 2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: sp

Beans
    Distro

What size would I need for a root partition to get the system installed?
    10-20 gb.

Beans

psusi

Thanks i have not been using that much. Was using 6Gig. Will up the amount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12