Thread: How do I stream live video over the internet using Ubuntu 10.10?

Hybrid View

Beans

How do I stream live video over the internet using Ubuntu 10.10?

Hi there

So I'm not exactly an Ubuntu, or even a computer expert. I have a necessity to stream live video over the internet. Basically, my brother-in-law is getting married, and there are relatives in parts of the world who cannot attend, so I need to hook up a camera and webcast the wedding as it happens. Is there a not too complicated way to do this?

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit on an Intel Core Duo 2.93 GHz machine with 4 GB RAM.

Is there any software that could accept an input via firewire from a Sony camera or DVCAM deck in standard definition and send it out onto the net, or am I asking for too much with the limited knowledge that I have?

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. I've been reading the forums online but most are pretty old, offering solutions for older versions of Ubuntu. I'm hoping since it's evolution, things may have become easier.

Beans

Re: How do I stream live video over the internet using Ubuntu 10.10?

Nobody?!

Beans

So for anyone who may be interested, I guess I have made a little progress from where I started, reading up on more forums and doing more google searches. Still do not have it up and running but I'm hoping I'm on my way to do so.

Step 1

Download and install Theorur from Synaptic Package Manager. This is a program that can read an input from a Firewire DV source and stream from your machine.

First of all, check whether Ubuntu reads your DV camera. Ubuntu 10.04 never used to recognize my old JVC Mini DV camcorder. But 10.10 does. Easy way to see if it works is to install Kdenlive, go to the Record monitor tab and hit the connect button. If you see an image, your DV camera should work. You don't need Kdenlive anymore, unless you want to do some video editing.

Step 2

Go to giss.tv and sign up for a channel/mount point. Once the account is created, it will send it you an email with a lot of information and instructions for activation. It takes about 24 hours to get activated.

This is as far as I have got now. Next step is to hook up the camera and actually get the damned thing to work. Will update as I go. Hoping some others try this too and can share their experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I wish I had some direct experience with this to share... The closest thing I've done in this arena is Zoneminder. It's a Digital Video Recorder That's primarily used as a Camera Surveillance System. It works with multiple inputs of various types and uses a web interface. I don't know if it would be what you're looking for, but it is available in the repos.
    For details the site is www.zoneminder.com .
    Good luck.
    You know, in a way I actually like Vista...
    It's what introduced me to Linux...
    New? Checkout https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/index.html

Beans

The esiest way would be making a Skype conference call.

Another way is to set up a free account at justin.tv

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    The esiest way would be making a Skype conference call.

Another way is to set up a free account at justin.tv
    Thanks. I attempted Justin.tv, but it doesn't seem to able to read from a DV camera connected via firewire.