Thread: How to set Gnome automount permissions?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How to set Gnome automount permissions?

Hi,
    I have a cross-platform game on a Windows partition. Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 do not allow executing files on a NTFS partition when automatically mounted through Nautilus. I would like to know what I need to change to make my system automatically mount NTFS ( and possibly VFAT ) partitions so that the exec bits are set, at least for my user.

I tried
    Code:
    gconftool-2 -t list --list-type string -s /system/storage/default_options/ntfs-3g/mount_options "[defaults, exec]"
    with no luck.

Any ideas?
    Vermind

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to set Gnome automount permissions?

two choices:

- tweak /etc/fstab : add this partition
    - install & use mountmanager to set your prefs

Beans

http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

thanks for the answers, but if i use fstab, the settings will not apply for any past and future partitions of the given filesystem type. if i connect a bunch of usb hard disks with ntfs, it will not apply to them. I know that udisks or gnome-vfs-mount or whatever its called nowadays has a gconf key that allows setting mount options, i just cannot find it now .... I am happy with any method that lets the automount system that is already there mount them. I.e. I do not want to install extra software to do something that i know is doable without it, and I do not want my partitions automounted on boot or be visible in fstab.
    I will look at mountmanager to see what it does later, thanks.
    Vermind

Beans

If you can't find any other way then you can re-build udisks to allow exec's on ntfs and vfat.
    Then main issue is that then all .txt files will be marked as executable, that's why the changes were made .
    2 seperate source changes - first for vfat, then ntfs.
    (check the changlelog to see.

The edit for vfat is straightforward, for ntfs will take a little digging. (never looked here

This was the last version to allow ntfs, and the one that instituted the change for vfat

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udisks/1.0.1-2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi,
    I found a question that asks how to set the mount options when udisks mounts some partitions (essentially the mechanism I am looking for). I also tried to mount my ntfs partition manually using udisks, but whatever mount options I set are either not "allowed" or just do nothing and the partition is mounted with the default options which are
    Code:
    rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions
    I looked into /lib/udev/rules.d, there are some interesting rules there but sadly none of them mention mount options like here. One mentions ntfs, but that is in the context of detecting recovery partitions and not showing them to the user.

Perhaps I will use the fstab workaround if this becomes urgent.
    Mountmanager looks good for fstab tweaking and doing the udev things if this becomes the issue.
    Vermind