Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10.10 wine and WoW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 10.10 wine and WoW

Ok, so at 1920x1080 with everything on min I was 60+FPS (I've capped it at 60 in settings) and putting textures, and the two objcet/view distance ones at good it drops to 30-45 in Shattrah. That would put Dalaran down ~20 I'd guess, but don't do much questing there!
    Will try an instance run and see the FPS. Hope it should be ok now at least!
    Will try streaming next to another PC and see how it looks
    Thanks for all the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

no problem. I've been playing wow/wine since it became doable, and delved into the murky world of 3D acceleration of the xserver/NVidia/ATi/Intel/others (On another forum, and while using another distro) and am VERY happy to share my experiences and opinions on both.

All you have to do is ask!
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks.
    Did test it out a bit more, and same spot in Shattrah gets ~ 45fps under wine, and delay is down ~200ms.
    Running under XP I get ~60fps, but delay is closer to 400ms.
    Interesting.
    Also, tried to load healbot, and crunched the fps under wine down to ~13, so something it doesn't like there!
    Still much quicker under XP, but playable via wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't know if I am doing something completely wrong but I am not able to get WoW to run at all on my fresh 10.10 setup with an ATI card. Well, the game installs fine and will open, but when it does the graphics are completely distorted and not usable. I have tried turning off compiz but I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by wrwarwick; November 2nd, 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

@wrwarwick:

Yeah. ATi. Get a Nvidia, and you'll be good. (I like ATi. Just Linux/Ati = BAD juju)

Or wait for Ati to mature the drivers enough to actually WORK better in Linux (don't hold your breath).

While ATi DOES make a GREAT product, in Linux their driver development seems to leave alot to be desired.

@sjhupp:

Blips in FPS happen all the time. A squirrel could have shorted out a T1 line somewhere, or Bob down the street cut a cable line, and it blasted some of your Internet packets.
    Don't worry about it. Watch it over the long haul.

As for Nvidia, I've actual proof that WoW/wine has higher FPS than WoW/Win7.
    Last edited by cwwilson721; November 2nd, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cwwilson721 View Post
    @wrwarwick:

Yeah. ATi. Get a Nvidia, and you'll be good. (I like ATi. Just Linux/Ati = BAD juju)

Or wait for Ati to mature the drivers enough to actually WORK better in Linux (don't hold your breath).

While ATi DOES make a GREAT product, in Linux their driver development seems to leave alot to be desired.

@sjhupp:

Blips in FPS happen all the time. A squirrel could have shorted out a T1 line somewhere, or Bob down the street cut a cable line, and it blasted some of your Internet packets.
    Don't worry about it. Watch it over the long haul.

As for Nvidia, I've actual proof that WoW/wine has higher FPS than WoW/Win7.
    Thanks for the advice about the ATI card, but I was finally able to get it to work. Maybe the -opengl tag wasn't correct or something, but it is now working correctly.

The only little annoyance I have now is that when I use the launcher to start the program, it always creates a desktop icon. Is there anyway to stop this from happening?

Beans

Question Re: 10.10 wine and WoW

With the expansion, has anyone had any play-affecting issues with 10.10? I copied over my windows install to my 10.04 and had problems with the system locking up when I attempt to drop to desktop. (I could not get Wine to mount the Cata install disk drive, so I copied my win install to my Wine directory instead.)
    Dropping to desktop just doesn't work at all in Lynx (it's not great in Win either, but it does it).

I'm running a notebook with an ATI card, I have the ATI linux drivers installed and this notebook runs Wow well in Windows.

Things that are working for me: graphics (med setting, although the graphics tab doesn't let me adjust anything); sound & music; movement; addons; mail; quest texts, etc. I haven't tried to raid or anything. My fps is fine also, the same as I get on my Win 7.
    Compiz is off (I usually turn this off anyway).

Oh, I have wine set to Win 7, should I change this to XP?

I really want to know if people are able to play Cata (level, dungeons, raids, etc.) so I have something to shoot for with adjusting my installation. I don't mind running min graphics or anything, the playability is the important thing.

Cheers,
    Julie (Jastal @Proudmoore US; Diranda & Vasek @Wyrmrest Accord US)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12