Thread: Mac OS x86_64 Program on Ubuntu

Beans

Mac OS x86_64 Program on Ubuntu

HI Everyone,

I have a code developed under the OS X. Since I don't have access to Mac system, I have to compile it under ubuntu system. However, the following errors show up,

g++ -MM -MT src/lib/IO.o -MF src/lib/IO.d -Wextra -Wall -pedantic-ercdrors -arch x86_64 -O3 -fopenmp -I/usr/local/include -Isrc/lib src/lib/IO.cc
    g++: x86_64: No such file or directory
    cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-pedantic-ercdrors"
    make: *** [src/lib/IO.o] Error 1

The code needs opencv library. And I have already installed the opencv and g++. Experiments with other codes show that both opencv and g++ works fine on ubuntu. The makefile from OS X code is listed as reference,

# Paths
    OPENCV_PATH=/usr/local

# Programs
    CC=
    CXX=g++

# Flags
    ARCH_FLAGS=-arch x86_64
    CFLAGS=-Wextra -Wall -pedantic-ercdrors $(ARCH_FLAGS) -O3 -fopenmp
    LDFLAGS=$(ARCH_FLAGS)
    DEFINES=
    INCLUDES=-I$(OPENCV_PATH)/include -Isrc/lib
    LIBRARIES=-L$(OPENCV_PATH)/lib -lopencv_core -lopencv_highgui -lopencv_imgproc -lopencv_objdetect -lgomp

I don't what are the reasons of the failure. Maybe it is because the code is developed under X86_64 and I am using 32 bit system of ubuntu? Sorry to bother you guys. I am relatively new to the ubuntu system. But I am in a hurry to compile this code successfully under ubuntu system.

I really appreciate your guys help. THanks.

Beans

Re: Mac OS x86_64 Program on Ubuntu

cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-pedantic-ercdrors"
    should be -pedantic-errors, assuming you want all complaints from gcc to be turned into errors, if you only want them as warnings use -pedantic

If you really need to cross compile for x86_64 on i386 you'll probably need to add at least some 64 bit libraries, search for lib64 on synaptic, the gcc-multilib package will install the basics.

If you can just use the i386 build instead of cross compiling you'll probably find that a lot easier, -pedantic instead of -pedantic-errors is generally what i'd use too. Often they're not big mistakes but things you might want to tidy up/improve at some point rather than have the whole build fail. Quite handy when you're actively in the process of developing something and its very much a 'work in progress'

[EDIT] from man gcc
    -pedantic
    Issue all the warnings demanded by strict ISO C and ISO C++; reject
    all programs that use forbidden extensions, and some other programs
    that do not follow ISO C and ISO C++.
    Strict is the very apt word here, with -pedantic-errors your build will fail with an error if any 'strict' rules are broken
    Last edited by SevenMachines; October 25th, 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Beans

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your advice. BUT after I use only -pedanti as the option, it still gives me the following errors,

g++ -MM -MT src/lib/IO.o -MF src/lib/IO.d -Wextra -Wall -pedantic -arch x86_64 -O3 -fopenmp -I/usr/local/include -Isrc/lib src/lib/IO.cc
    g++: x86_64: No such file or directory
    make: *** [src/lib/IO.o] Error 1

MY GNU version is i686 GNU/Linux. One thing that bothers me is that I have already installed the g++ and can compile other c++ code without errors. But in this case, the g++ can not be located. Is that because the code is developed under X86_64, which causes the problem?

THanks.

Beans

Its probably not that its developed on 64, its that you're cross compiling to 64 from 32 in this case. Made a mistake before, you'll need
    $ sudo apt-get install g++-multilib
    not gcc, as i mentioned before

I dont do a lot of this thing so this may be wrong but you i dont think its -arch for this but -m64. For a simple example

hello.cpp:
    int main(int args, char ** argv){
    return 0;
    }
    # 32 compile
    $ g++ -o hello hello.cpp
    $ readelf -h hello|grep Machine
    Machine: Intel 80386

# 64 compile
    $ g++ -m64 -o hello hello.cpp
    $ g++ -m64 -o hello hello.cpp
    $ readelf -h hello|grep Machine
    Machine: Advanced Micro Devices X86-64

I would add, unless you especially need to cross compile for a different target machines, stick with the native 32 bit ( remove arch flags). Its likely you'll need to manually setup some 64 bit libraries on your 32 bit machines otherwise. Not too difficult but extra work