View Poll Results: GNOME Shell or Unity?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unity

119 27.93%
  • GNOME Shell

158 37.09%
  • Anything that works

119 27.93%
  • I don't use GNOME

30 7.04%
Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

As OMG! Ubuntu! reported, Unity for default desktop instead of GNOME Shell is gonna be up for discussions in the next UDS. What do you think? Personally, I'd like to try it on the regular desktop version.

EDIT Unity will be used as the default DE, Mark Shuttleworth has announced at the UDS. More info at Jono Bacon's blog post.

EDIT With the prevailing skeptic reaction about Unity being the default DE, Jono Bacon has posted in his blog to further clarify the issue of Unity replacing GNOME Shell.
    Last edited by Oxwivi; November 1st, 2010 at 08:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Unity as default desktop

I prefer Gnome 2.xx.
    The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity
    To me, GPL still means Grand Prix Legends...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i'll wait and see the final work then i'll decide like or dislike & switch to kde

Beans
    Distro

I think it's important that we consider new approaches to the desktop, because if Gnome 2 just stays Gnome 2, Xfce is going to completely catch up in features (hasn't it already?) and make Gnome nothing but a novelty of the old guys in free software.

Personally, I think it would be far better to support Gnome and make Gnome 3 a great release, rather than taking a bunch of focus away onto a custom shell with GTK. Of course, it's all up to Canonical and the users, but Gnome is having a hard time as it is. I really hope Gnome 3 brings it up to par with KDE 4 (not in the same features, not mimicking anyone, just a modern Gnome, like KDE 4 is a modern KDE). I really liked Gnome-Shell, but we still have to work a lot on Gnome's theme engines and bare functionality, rather than just tagging stuff onto it. Integrating the usability, not just modding Gnome into Ubuntu.

I personally won't mind if Gnome 3 alienates a bunch of users and they come over to KDE 4 to discover its richness, but I really love Gnome because of where it came from and where it brought Linux into the mainstream. It just really needs a little extra polish.

Then again, all of these options are better than Windows, LOL! Look at how spoiled we are.

Beans
    Distro

Now that Qt has been released under LGPL, wouldn't it be a good idea to continue GNOME development with Qt?

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    Look at how spoiled we are.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ubuntu desktop to have Unity? What do you think?

OMG! Ubuntu! - Ubuntu 11.04 to ship Unity as default desktop?
    Blueprint - Approved by Mark Shuttleworth himself

Do you think this is a good idea?

IMO I think that with a bit of modding to make Unity better for bigger screens it could make a good experience. With thinking of how awesome Canonical made it look in a short time frame, imagine what it could look/feel like in 6+ months time.
    Last edited by woodbj; October 25th, 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Links added

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a feeling xfce4 is going to become a lot more popular once GNOME 3 is out, people will want to use something familiar.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe in other distros, but your average Ubuntu user may want to try out the new stuff.

Beans

Thing is... the DE is just another tool at the end of the day... I find that I get the most done with the current Gnome and the default layout that Ubuntu decided on (well, OK, Gnome basically decided on )

If something like Unity or Gnome 3 can deliver this for me then great... else I suspect the next in line for me would be XFCE which is similar (or maybe LXDE, but I have not tried it yet)...

I only use the Netbook Remix interface because it is optimised for the silly resolution Netbooks run on, other than that I despise it as it makes me much slower at doing what I want to do...

Personal preference all the way, but I wish Gnome all the best on what ever they decide... I may or my not be using it in the future

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu desktop to have Unity? What do you think?

If I had to decide between the Shell and Unity, I'd pick Unity without hesitation, but I guess a lot of people would rather stick to the "old" two panel setup...
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast