Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Define "eye candy"

Beans
    Hidden!

Define "eye candy"

I see this term on the forum from time to time. What does it mean specifically?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Define "eye candy"

Well here is one definition.

eye candy
    n Informal 1. a person or people considered highly attractive to look at, often implying that they are lacking in intelligence or depth
    2. something intended to be attractive to the eye without being demanding or contributing anything essential
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't understand. Are they talking about desktop wallpapers when they use this term?

Beans

Eye candy is something visually appealing, so that's up to each person's individual taste. Regarding desktop environments, I started seeing it used frequently when 3D drivers/Compiz effects were becoming mainstream, especially things like the Cube effect, animations for opening/closing windows and Expo. Transparency also would definitely fall in that category.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Compiz, docks, gnomenu, gnome-do, emerald themes. All that stuff is eye candy.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hhh View Post
    Eye candy is something visually appealing, so that's up to each person's individual taste. Regarding desktop environments, I started seeing it used frequently when 3D drivers/Compiz effects were becoming mainstream, especially things like the Cube effect, animations for opening/closing windows and Expo. Transparency also would definitely fall in that category.
    Oh! So kinda like that Windows Aero gimmick?

Do those things actually help you to be more productive? I don't understand why people would want that if it serves no functionality. They just use up more memory.

Beans
    Hidden!

When we used to extract the eyeballs of Gummi Bears at Halloween......my mother asked one day,"Where did you boys get that eyecandy" and the phrase has been around since.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by brawnypandora0 View Post
    Oh! So kinda like that Windows Aero gimmick?

Do those things actually help you to be more productive? I don't understand why people would want that if it serves no functionality. They just use up more memory.
    Some of the plugins do have functionality actually. For instance, I use the Scale plugin so I don't have to have a window list selector, and I can use a global menu and still be able to access my apps with one click. I use Expo and Desktop Wall so I can more easily move windows across workspaces, and see when I do it more easily. Also with compiz I have transparency with the terminal so if I'm reading off a command that I can't just copy and paste, I can read it still while I'm typing.

A lot of the eye candy is still functional, and I like having something nice to look at while I do stuff. If you want you could use the old grey Gnome with its 8-bit icons. Also for a home desktop an aesthetically appeasing desktop doesn't really take up that much memory, or CPU if you have a computer from the past 5 years from applications you would be running. It only matters in a scientific/academia scenario.

Beans
    Hidden!

Given that you've started 5 threads one after another just on this subforum, I'm having a tough time believing you're serious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

When we used to extract the eyeballs of Gummi Bears at Halloween......my mother asked one day,"Where did you boys get that eyecandy" and the phrase has been around since.
    haha. I thought the term came form Sir Howard Eyecandy who invented eyecandy in 1764.

Na, eyecandy is all the pretty stuff going on on your desktop. Some people reckon anything more than a terminal is eyecandy, others go all out with a desktop cube, flames on their windows, ice around their mousepointer, etc etc. I tend to use functional eye candy - scale, expo, a binary clock, and a wallpaper terminal.
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast