View Poll Results: GNOME Shell or Unity?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unity

119 27.93%
  • GNOME Shell

158 37.09%
  • Anything that works

119 27.93%
  • I don't use GNOME

30 7.04%
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

Beans

Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    No, I think it will just be the gnome-panel as it is now. The Gnome-Shell does not use the gnome-panel at all, so it will not need a rewrite.
    Yeah. At the moment it's Clutter and themed using CSS. No options as yet.

Beans

Gnome 3 is not the gnome-shell. Bits of Gnome 3 are already used in Ubuntu, such as a new configuration framework and zeitgeist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity on the Desktop???

Oh yeah and of course some kind of vague threat "...im leaving this for this..".
    No threat, just a statement, that's all. I still love Ubuntu, the idea behind it and everything but some changes are a bit, well, over the top (I constantly get asked by newbies why the icons to minimize, close etc. are on the left hand side - yes, that old discussion again). My main concern is thet instead of using a well-maintained, cross-distibution window manager we'll be swithing to an ubuntu-only default interface with much less manpower behind it, much less testing and (for now) no backing by other distros. Why do we have to reinvent the wheel instead of working together with existing wheelmakers?

Yes, Debian is awesome. If you feel more comfortable using it, more power to you. If it turns out that Ubuntu is unusable perhaps I will join you. I can almost certainly say ill still be using Ubuntu when 11.04 comes around.
    Ubuntu won't be unusable. At least not for most of us. But I'm also thinking about people wanting to switch over. Unity in its current state is more complex to understand and use than the standard Gnome-Desktop we know and use today. Instead of making things easier, they might become more complicated and even more unknown to people trying Ubuntu for their first time. What's the point in wanting to go one's own way just for the sake of going one's own way?

The thing I hate most is that the thing is gonna be Compiz-based. Has anyone of you had to rely on the proprietary radeon-driver in the last year? Have you tried running Compiz and OpenGL-programs like Google Earth at the same time? Have you seen all the graphical glitches due to the driver not supporting DRI2? (Yeah, I know, it's the driver's fault, but many people (have to) use it.) What about people buying Radeon 6000-series graphics cards now? Will they have to see these graphical problems on a daily basis? What about people using graphics cards that also don't have the necessary drivers (but can run non-compositing window-managers just fine)? Do we want to force them to move to Xubuntu (not everybody using Ubuntu has the knowledge to switch back to Mutter, many people expect Ubuntu to "just work"). I've got the feeling this switch is going to break more than it's gonna do good. But, hey, I'm open to positive surprises

Anyway, I'll shut up now, I get the feeling criticism is not wanted anymore.
    Last edited by moviemaniac; October 25th, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
    My machines:
    iMac 24" (8,1): Ubuntu 11.04 | Lenovo S12: Ubuntu 11.04

FSF Associate member #7570 | twitter

Beans

Why did you not just say "I am afraid we will not have enough man power to make a well supported and usable desktop" then. You are allowed to have an opinion. I was in the wrong for being so aggressive and so I apologize. I am sure you said what you meant to begin with.

I just get irritated Canonical twitches their nose and the vocal minority have to have a FUD storm. I am tired of hearing folks be pessimistic about the future of either Ubuntu or free software in general when it is within our grasp to go do it and make it work ourselves.

Forgive me for assuming I can doubt an opinion. Nothing is gained from doing so and I should not have. Constructive criticism, I back. Just not the other kind.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Merged yet another errant thread about the Unity announcement.

Beans
    Distro

Well, my first post probably wasn't the nicest or most explaining either and I should apologize for that too.

This is actually the first time I am pessimistic because I'm thinking about all the machines we're gonna have trouble with running a compiz-based window manager and all the people I'd have more trouble with familiarizing them with a totally new interface. I just hope Mark and all the people behind Unity figure a way out to make Unity as easy to use as the current Gnome-Desktop and figure out the technical problems involved (though I doubt they can influence all the guys programming the drivers for the graphics cards so Unity runs on all the hardware mutter currently runs on).
    My machines:

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Merged yet another errant thread about the Unity announcement.
    Sorry, I only browse and read the development board - I figured that'd be the place to talk about it since it's obviously Natty-related...
    My machines:

Beans

For now, Gnome 2 will be available, so I suppose we will have to worry about that when it comes down to it. I for one would like but do not expect and elegant solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaniac View Post
    No threat, just a statement, that's all. I still love Ubuntu, the idea behind it and everything but some changes are a bit, well, over the top (I constantly get asked by newbies why the icons to minimize, close etc. are on the left hand side - yes, that old discussion again). My main concern is thet instead of using a well-maintained, cross-distibution window manager we'll be swithing to an ubuntu-only default interface with much less manpower behind it, much less testing and (for now) no backing by other distros. Why do we have to reinvent the wheel instead of working together with existing wheelmakers?

Ubuntu won't be unusable. At least not for most of us. But I'm also thinking about people wanting to switch over. Unity in its current state is more complex to understand and use than the standard Gnome-Desktop we know and use today. Instead of making things easier, they might become more complicated and even more unknown to people trying Ubuntu for their first time. What's the point in wanting to go one's own way just for the sake of going one's own way?

The thing I hate most is that the thing is gonna be Compiz-based. Has anyone of you had to rely on the proprietary radeon-driver in the last year? Have you tried running Compiz and OpenGL-programs like Google Earth at the same time? Have you seen all the graphical glitches due to the driver not supporting DRI2? (Yeah, I know, it's the driver's fault, but many people (have to) use it.) What about people buying Radeon 6000-series graphics cards now? Will they have to see these graphical problems on a daily basis? What about people using graphics cards that also don't have the necessary drivers (but can run non-compositing window-managers just fine)? Do we want to force them to move to Xubuntu (not everybody using Ubuntu has the knowledge to switch back to Mutter, many people expect Ubuntu to "just work"). I've got the feeling this switch is going to break more than it's gonna do good. But, hey, I'm open to positive surprises

Anyway, I'll shut up now, I get the feeling criticism is not wanted anymore.
    I don't know if you missed the part about where Unity will check to see if the system is capable of running it, and if not will drop back to the 2 panel desktop, there will also be a choice in the session menu, so that you can select what desktop you want to use, even gnome shell.

Beans
    Hidden!

Its not much of a option for me atm. My system won't even run Gnome Shell. Graphics Card doesn't want to do the 3D Acceration I guess. All I know is when I try to run the lastest Gnome Shell it loads but completely freezes the GUI. No mouse, no visual activies, no nothing. I usually have to switch into a console mode and reboot.

If Ubuntu does decide to go shell I hope it will also auto-detect wither or not to actually use it or to drop back onto 2.x should the graphics card not be able to use it. Gnome should of never had shell depend on 3D Acceleration.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; October 25th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast