View Poll Results: GNOME Shell or Unity?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unity

    119 27.93%
  • GNOME Shell

    158 37.09%
  • Anything that works

    119 27.93%
  • I don't use GNOME

    30 7.04%
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 414

Thread: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    572

    Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

    Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    You compared them to the Gnome Shell devs, who are notorious for being very unwilling to change their design. Yes the applets, how they're joined together, the volume applet button theme was contentious.
    They changed the theme, and I haven't heard many people other than you complain about them being joined together. Your point
    I didn't compare them to no one. You made that assumption.

    My point is they stuck to their design for the volume applet player button design and the album art text missing text, which people didn't like much.

    Look at the comments from users, it was a contentious design.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/08/m...es-on-the-way/

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tōkyō, Japan
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    I didn't compare them to no one. You made that assumption.
    How is this not comparing them:
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shafin View Post
    And the gnome-shell developers are a bit hard to communicate with. They are preoccupied with their ideas and have been quite resistant to valid feedback in the past. I believe canonical first tried to work with them but found it impossible.
    What's new? Canonical stick by their own design ideas in just the same way.
    My point is they stuck to their design for the volume applet player button design and the album art text missing text, which people didn't like much.
    It's true that they stuck to the text design(Which I don't like either, and I find it quite likely that it will change in 11.04.), but they actually changed the buttons.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    96

    Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

    I'm not a fan of Unity nor gnome-shell, but if they're going to go with Unity then ditching Mutter for Compiz is probably a good idea. In fact they should have done it from the beginning. I'm sorry to say but Mutter is really buggy, slow and eats too many cpu cycles. Compiz on the other hand has really good performance and probably best driver/hardware compatibility of all of the composting window managers out there. So the choice is easy.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    150
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

    The poll is missing an important option:
    x Improve Gnome 2.x - neither GS nor Unity

    Whether the window buttons are on the left or right side doesn't bother me much. And either way is easily changed if needed.

    But I hate the global menu. It's ok for a Netbook. A netbook is a niche device with serious restrictions where you rarely will want to run more than one application which will almost always be maximized.
    On a full desktop system I run multiple applications and most of them are rarely maximized. Every time I sit at a Mac I get annoyed by its stupid global menu.

    And Gnome Shell has some cute ideas - but it focuses a lot of effort on stuff that is of lesser importance to me (managing multiple workspaces) while being incompatible with Compiz.

    What Gnome needs is some improvements in the toolkit. Tweaking the notifications and cleaning up the tray area - that's all good work.

    Do I really have to look for another distribution?
    Asus G75 - 2.3GHz - NVidia 660M - Atheros AR9485 - 8 GB RAM - Ubuntu 14.04
    Asus F201E - 1.1 GHz - Intel - 2 GB RAM - Ubuntu - 14.04
    Asus F201E - 1.1 GHz - Intel - 4 GB RAM - Ubuntu - 14.10

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Beans
    47
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

    i honestly don't worry about unity or gnome shell, i had a look at both last night and, i have to say, my opinion about both changed for the better. if either one is used, all i can hope is that they're themeable (even a little bit, until everything gets sorted out.)

    as long as ubuntu doesn't get "XP'd" or "vista'd" i'll be happy and i'll certainly not throw a fit if a minuscule thing in either DE doesn't adapt to me, i'll be happy to adapt myself to it.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    75

    Re: Ubuntu desktop to have Unity? What do you think?

    I really like the idea of using unity as the default environment in Ubuntu.

    A lot of people really just use their computer like a netbook, a few applications (my parents and gf for example).

    Im a power user and I wanted to try using the 10.10 Unity release on my desktop because it was simple and looks great but it didn't work the way i wanted so i just went back to normal Gnome.
    The Ubuntu community does a great job and Im sure this would be amazing.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tōkyō, Japan
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophont View Post
    The poll is missing an important option:
    x Improve Gnome 2.x - neither GS nor Unity

    Whether the window buttons are on the left or right side doesn't bother me much. And either way is easily changed if needed.

    But I hate the global menu. It's ok for a Netbook. A netbook is a niche device with serious restrictions where you rarely will want to run more than one application which will almost always be maximized.
    On a full desktop system I run multiple applications and most of them are rarely maximized. Every time I sit at a Mac I get annoyed by its stupid global menu.
    Accoring to the bluprint, there will be no Global Menu in the desktop version of Unity.

    Do I really have to look for another distribution?
    No, just choose Gnome 2.XX instead of Shell/Unity when you log in.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Angry Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

    For certain uses, Unity is an interesting development -- netbooks, simple interface for narrow use, computer illiterate, etc. As a specialty choice, it would be fine. But I am most productive on Gnome, I understand it, and I like it. I chose Ubuntu partly on that basis and only in the last couple of versions could I say it has really matured to a level I can bring to local businesses and non-profits.

    Moving to that Unity thing would be a show-stopper for me and I've been using Ubuntu since Nov 2006. If 3D and games are the issue, split off an entertainment version, but keep the main Gnome Ubuntu for the rest of us to get our work done. The interface is clean, people understand it and I can finally make a business out of providing it as a replacement for proprietary crap.

    This feels a lot like change for change sake, and it's really sad to me.
    David

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

    Quote Originally Posted by david.rahrer View Post
    For certain uses, Unity is an interesting development -- netbooks, simple interface for narrow use, computer illiterate, etc. As a specialty choice, it would be fine. But I am most productive on Gnome, I understand it, and I like it. I chose Ubuntu partly on that basis and only in the last couple of versions could I say it has really matured to a level I can bring to local businesses and non-profits.

    Moving to that Unity thing would be a show-stopper for me and I've been using Ubuntu since Nov 2006. If 3D and games are the issue, split off an entertainment version, but keep the main Gnome Ubuntu for the rest of us to get our work done. The interface is clean, people understand it and I can finally make a business out of providing it as a replacement for proprietary crap.

    This feels a lot like change for change sake, and it's really sad to me.
    I would suggest you wait until unity for the desktop is released before saying it is a show stopper. I've been using the netbook version since it was first released in May. It has come a long way in less than 6 months. As it is now, unity has 4 work spaces, that I use fairly often, admittedly with only 1Gb of ram it goes into swap fairly quickly when using all 4, but the devs have said they are going to make better use of the hardware, so that shouldn't be much of a problem by the time 12.04 is released.

    As for your last line, didn't we see that a lot when the buttons were moved? Now we rarely see any mention of it.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    74
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Unity to be included as part of the default desktop installation

    But than again I prefer something that works all the time. If Ubuntu decide to switch to Unity, I am sure they have good reason for it. And beside if I don't like it I can always switch to Gnome which I prefer not to because of my lack of skills not because it lack features.. That is the good thing about Linux. Its customizable.

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •