Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.04 - Precise Pangolin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

After upgrading to 10.10 my wireless was gone. The wireless indicator was on but no success at connecting to network.
    But after the following changes everything was fine:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod bc44
    sudo rmmod bc43
    sudo rmmod wl
    sudo modprobe wl

Beans

I just recently installed 10.10 and new to ubuntu.
    I have a Dell Inspiron 600m with a broadcom 4306.

I was able to use another guide I found on here to get the wifi card working and it connects to open networks and WEP networks fine but I can't get it to connect to any WPA/WPA2 networks. Does anyone know any fixes for this?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Red face Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

Hi,

My Broadcom WIFI will not reconnect to a *NEW NETWORK* after returning from Sleep Mode it will only reconnect to the old network. However, if I reboot the computer it will connect.

To reproduce this problem all you have to do is close your laptop lid and then when you open your laptop try to connect to a different network then the one that you first connected to.

V$H.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have same problem on my lenovo g550 with Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01). When I first instal 10.10. I couldn't connect, and one night when I turn on my laptop, wireless just get connect (it was few weeks ago). Today I lost connection again.
    I red and try everything you said but still without connection. Im on wire now.

Beans

Hi,

I'm going to contact broadcom about this. I noticed that on Broadcom just upgrade an update to their drivers on 10/18/2010.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

The drivers that come with Ubuntu 10.10 are BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01).

From the command line it is possible to reinstall/update the drivers with the following command.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source

The version that I see here is 5.60.48.36 and the version that is on their website is 5.60.246.2.

This may mean that we have to download the file from their website rather then doing an apt-get. Has anyone tried the drivers at

How do we update the files on apt-get to reflect the latest broadcom drivers on their website?

Give me a few and I'll build the latest broadcom drivers and let everyone know how that goes.

V$H.

Beans

Hi,

I rebuilt the broadcom wl.ko module and am using it to do this posting.

If you were already running a previous version of wl, you'll want to provide
    a clean transition from the older driver. (The path to previous driver is
    usually /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/net/wireless)

# rmmod wl
    # mv <path-to-prev-driver>/wl.ko <path-to-prev-driver>/wl.ko.orig
    # cp wl.ko <path-to-prev-driver>/wl.ko
    # depmod
    # modprobe wl

Works for me... I'll let people know over the next few days it I see some of those same connectivity issues.

Hopefully Ubuntu Update Manager will not overwrite the module?

V$H.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytm View Post
    I never really did anything Right after I installed Ubuntu I connected my ethernet card. awith the wored connection active now I went to system-->administration-->additional drivers My computer then did a search for availabe drivers and 2 drivers showed up, there was a b43 driver and the sta driver. I clicked o the sta driver and then pressed the activate button. After that all worked well. But I would recommend NOT using the b43 driver unless absolute last resort. I had that problem before. If you want the link where you can download the drivers from t not a problem, But the driver would have to be built first. Try this first though
    Code:
     sudo apt-get --purge remove bcmwl-kernel-source
     sudo apt-get install patch  
     sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    if it still doesn't work you can try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source
    One line at a time of course
    Thank you!

Beans

Hi,

The packages available with apt-get and Ubuntu are not up-to-date with the release files at Broadcoms website the most recent stable release build is 5.60.246.2 not 5.60.48.36.

V$H.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vsh3r View Post
    Hi,

I'm going to contact broadcom about this. I noticed that on Broadcom just upgrade an update to their drivers on 10/18/2010.

V$H.
    Good luck. Their support sucks. They haven't ever responded to me in the half dozen times I contacted them.

I solved my continual Broadcom 43xx card problems by getting an Intel Wireless N card on some web site I found via Google Shopping. Total cost? 15 dollah. All issues gone.

Beans

Hi, I'm using a Broadcom 4311 wireless card, but my Ethernet (also Broadcom) ISN'T WORKING.

Therefore I can't do anything update related in Ubuntu 10.10, only try downloading debian packages in Windows and hoping it works.

So far I have dried the fw43cutter thing, ndiswrapper and direct download from Broadcom, and maybe I'm doing them wrong but NOT ONCE have I seen ANY drivers in the "Additional Drivers" box.

A lot of people have fixed this by getting online through ethernet. Is there no way a debian package or something can be put online that will fix the jockey problem?

BTW I am very new to Linux, so please don't just say something like "reinstall xorg.conf and blacklist your w43"....

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast