Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.04 - Precise Pangolin)

Beans

Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (11.10 - Oneiric Ocelot)

Quote Originally Posted by poltr1 View Post
    Running "sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source" fixed it. I also added b43 to /etc/modules for good measure. Thank you bkratz!

Glad you got it going, enjoy!

Beans

hello i am proud to say that i am a noob. But i will also say that i will not be a noob for long. As i learn fast but i do need help with some wireless issues. i recently installed a linksys wireless adapter inconveniently i am working with aircrack-ng and this wireless adapter does not support monitor mode because i had to use ndiswrapper. just wondering if there was another way to get it to work or modify it. the device in question is a linksys AE2500 if anyone has an idea please let me know.

Beans

hello i am proud to say that i am a noob. But i will also say that i will not be a noob for long. As i learn fast but i do need help with some wireless issues. i recently installed a linksys wireless adapter inconveniently i am working with aircrack-ng and this wireless adapter does not support monitor mode because i had to use ndiswrapper. just wondering if there was another way to get it to work or modify it. the device in question is a linksys AE2500 if anyone has an idea please let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is kinda of weird.

I ran sudo lshw -C network

Code:
    *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: BCM43225 802.11b/g/n
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 01
           serial: 90:00:xx:xx:xx:XX
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=brcmsmac driverversion=3.0.0-13-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.2.2 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
           resources: irq:19 memory:d0100000-d0103fff
    Wich shows that the brcmsmac driver is currently in use on my system for my broadcom 43225 internal card, However in the driver install gui it says that a propritary broadcom "sta" driver is installed by default and in use.

The brcmsmac driver is an open source driver wich is NOT PROPRITARY in any way shape or form, It was released by broadcom sometime last year as an open source linux driver as you can read here - http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211

http://lwn.net/Articles/404248/

So why is ubuntu 11.10 saying i have a propritary driver installed when i dont?
    Last edited by sky5564; November 25th, 2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added image

Beans

Thanks for all the help on here but I'm afraid to say that none of it actually solved the problem. It has meant that the learning curve was steep and very useful.

The most excellent news is that I have managed to solve the problem...new hard wear.

After a few searches I came across https://www.thinkpenguin.com/ on there they have a whole load of useful stuff, including their 802.11G USB Wireless Network Adapter. I ordered on which was still very reasonable even with postage to the UK. Under £40 and no more problems. It's a lot cheaper than buying a new PC or a copy of Windows.

So why is ubuntu 11.10 saying i have a propritary driver installed when i dont?
    Because you do. What Broadcom has released is not ready for Canonical to put in Ubuntu yet.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Because you do. What Broadcom has released is not ready for Canonical to put in Ubuntu yet.
    But its open source so obviously it has no proprietary license so why does the additional driver gui label it as something its not?

I dont understand, All that does is confuse the end user.

Beans

I hope someone sees this and can help me out. I will try here before starting a new thread. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu.

I installed 11.10 on my laptop, a Samsung Series 3. Broadcom WiFi drivers install ok, I can turn on WiFi, see AP's, etc. BUT, I simply cannot connect. I've spent hours trying to troubleshoot this and no luck. I hope someone can help me. I have the STA driver installed.

Edit: It works now. Magically. WTF.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matt2053 View Post
    I hope someone sees this and can help me out. I will try here before starting a new thread. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu.

I installed 11.10 on my laptop, a Samsung Series 3. Broadcom WiFi drivers install ok, I can turn on WiFi, see AP's, etc. BUT, I simply cannot connect. I've spent hours trying to troubleshoot this and no luck. I hope someone can help me. I have the STA driver installed.

Edit: It works now. Magically. WTF.
    This happening to me 2, same sta drivet

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poltr1 View Post

[Updated at 13:01 to add: But upon reboot, I have to type in "sudo modprobe b43" to enable my wireless adapter, every time I start an Ubuntu session. I think there's something else I need to do so that it would come up automatically. But I don't know what that is.]
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    then add b43 and save

done!

Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast