Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.04 - Precise Pangolin)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

Solution: System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager > Search: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer > Click Mark > Click install > Close
    Thank you, is solved!

Beans

I am currently pulling my hair out over this issue.
    My wireless is massively unstable since installing Ubuntu, and is now working about 5% of the time. I am a newbie and must admit I understand only about a quarter of what's being said on the forums... Need help in plain English please!

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 (I've got a Vista dual boot going on) but my wireless chipset is BCM4315 (not 4312 as seems common here).

I've tried the fixes on this thread so far without success. I'm obviously doing something wrong but I don't have a clue what.

Is anyone else using the BCM4315 chipset?

EDIT:
    I've just checked in Terminal and actually it turns out my Chipset IS BCM4312. Go Figure.

Still need help though!
    Last edited by anspideog; November 9th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.

Beans

Can you please post what your errors are in your /var/log/messages file? or you can view your error messages in system->administration->logs

V$H.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

Too many connectivity issues with BCm4312 using 10.10, i will try to compile the latest kernel and load the latest broadcom drivers to see if I see any improvement. The connection keeps dropping from the Access point and it appears that the driver I am using does not like the WPA2 security since the connection keeps dropping every minute. All sort of issues with this device and drive, I will report back when I finish compiling the latest source and adding the latest module from broadcom if it even compiles.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

All 4 of my laptops with the BCM4312 run flawlessly on 9.10, 10.04 and 10.10 using the STA driver. Why would the b43 be chosen instead, other than that it is listed first in the options list when going to system>administration>hardware? Wireless dropping seems very common with the 4312 and the b43 driver, but the STA has none of those issues that I found. And requires nothing more than connecting via ethernet, clicking STA, activate, reboot. I have 2 Dell computers and 2 Acers and they all go through exactly the same steps to configure and none of them drop signal/disconnect.

Beans

Wink Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    All 4 of my laptops with the BCM4312 run flawlessly on 9.10, 10.04 and 10.10 using the STA driver. Why would the b43 be chosen instead, other than that it is listed first in the options list when going to system>administration>hardware? Wireless dropping seems very common with the 4312 and the b43 driver, but the STA has none of those issues that I found. And requires nothing more than connecting via ethernet, clicking STA, activate, reboot. I have 2 Dell computers and 2 Acers and they all go through exactly the same steps to configure and none of them drop signal/disconnect.

Well, I got tired after compiling and loading the latest driver from broadcom. I decided to hack my bios in the Lenovo G550 to allow any miniPCI to be loaded in the slot. IBM/Lenovo has some nasty routine in the bios that prohibit users from changing the minpPCI adapter to another brand. I swap the damm thing after some testing and I am running the Intel Pro 4965 flawlessly now. Ubuntu 10.10 is running great now. If anyone has the G550 and wish to change the adapter drop me a PM. I don't think broadcom and this release and in pair yet.

Beans

I am using Windows XP now but I am planning to change my OS to Ubuntu because of many reasons. I tried Ubuntu by running it through my USB Flashdrive. It worked well and satisfied me except for one thing, the Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN (BCM43XX) (Adapter type Ethernet 802.3) of my HP Mini 1001TU is NOT working with Broadcom STA 802.11 of Linux.

What am I gonna do? Is it possible to solve this problem?

If i install Ubuntu, i wont have internet connection because i really solely to my wireless connection.

Please help me...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Which Broadcom do you have? There are several drivers available depending upon your model. I was specifying the STA for the BCM4312, but it is not the proper driver for some of the other models.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Ramone View Post
    Thank you, is solved!
    Currently, this solved my issue as well however, you also have to, in Synaptic, remove the bcm43 driver which is, in Synaptic, 'firmware-b43-installer' the same time you install 'firmware-b43-lpphy-installer'. If you don't the system seems to get confused and reverts to the original driver driving you up the wall.... again. Good Luck !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post

Solution: System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager > Search: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer > Click Mark > Click install > Close
    Doesn't work for me. I'm using HP Probook 4420s.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytm View Post
    The b43 driver has caused me nothing but trouble and complication. I am really confused as to why so many people have had problems using the STA driver when it has always been such a straightforward simple solution.
    This solution works.

You'll need to uninstall any other solutions especially in the Synaptic Package Manager before the STA route will work.

Connect your laptop using a LAN cable in order to get the STA driver.
    System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers
    you were once a newbie too.

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast