Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Thread: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.04 - Precise Pangolin)

Beans

Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.04 - Precise Pangolin)

I have got the same problem with 12.10.
    To note : during installation of 12.10, and for some time after installation, Wifi worked nicely. It seems to me that it stopped working after a kernel update (3.5.0-18, a second update 3.5.0-19 did not improve anything wrt this problem).

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dm_research View Post
    When wl is enabled, it seems to bring in ssb and b44

Code:
    $ sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb wl
    $ sudo lsmod | grep ssb
    $ sudo modprobe wl
    $ sudo lsmod | grep ssb
    ssb                    50087  1 b44

At the moment, I am beginning to suspect there is a bug somewhere in the wifi setup in 12.10 - it probably does not help that both cards are Broadcom and may share driver features. I would have given up long ago if I did not know that wifi was working in 12.04 and I am reasonably certain that the "fix" involved 'disabling' b44 and ssb.
    If you have a b44 ethernet card then you have these lines in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf

Code:
    blacklist b44
    install wl modprobe -r b43 b44 b43legacy ssb; modprobe --ignore-install wl $CMDLINE_OPTS; modprobe --ignore-install b44
    So when you modprobe wl, it automatically modprobes b44 too. Play around with this line and see if removing the "modprobe --ignore-install b44" fixes the problem. If it does then you need to raise a bug.

P.S. It is easy to miss new posts in sticky threads and this is why they sometimes don't get replies. It is much better to create a new thread with your problem. Then people with the same problem can easily find it, rather than wading through a 63 page thread (and if you want to be super helpful, update the community wiki page!).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    P.S. It is easy to miss new posts in sticky threads and this is why they sometimes don't get replies. It is much better to create a new thread with your problem. Then people with the same problem can easily find it, rather than wading through a 63 page thread (and if you want to be super helpful, update the community wiki page!).
    It would be a good thing for a moderator to create a new thread starting with message 617 of this thread and some new title such as Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.10 Quantal Qetzal).
    Don't you think so ?

Simm2: It would be a good thing for a moderator to create a new thread starting with message 617 of this thread and some new title such as Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.10 Quantal Qetzal).
    Don't you think so ?
    Have thought about starting a new one when the next distro comes out, but had not thought about cutting it and starting with a new one. That is a good idea. Thank you for the suggestion, Simm2. Done.
    Last edited by Sef; December 1st, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Locked and removed as sticky.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263