Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (11.10 - Oneiric Ocelot)
Summarizing my install experience on a Dell Latitude D630 running Oneiric and the built-in Broadcom 4311 wireless device:
0) Connect to a network via a wired connection.
1) Installed firmware-b43-lpphy-installer via sudo apt-get install. Got some type of "installation failed; device not found" error message.
2) Ran update-manager, which populated the software center.
3) Removed firmware-b43-lpphy-installer and installed firmware-b43-installer via the software center.
4) Commented out the blacklist b43xx line in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.
5) Executed "sudo modprobe b43". (Yeah, I could have rebooted.)
Clicked on my network status icon and I can see -- and connect to -- my wireless network. Success!
[Updated at 13:01 to add: But upon reboot, I have to type in "sudo modprobe b43" to enable my wireless adapter, every time I start an Ubuntu session. I think there's something else I need to do so that it would come up automatically. But I don't know what that is.]
Last edited by poltr1; November 19th, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Reason: Added reporting of a problem I'm encountering.
"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard