Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.04 - Precise Pangolin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

I just tried this & had my wireless back- momentarily...

Now, it's back to showing 100% signal- but no internet?

I'm new to this- so if there's some sort of report or such that I can send to help clarify what's happening- please advise.

Cheers!

Dell Mini 910
    2GB RAM
    16GB STEC SSD
    Ubuntu Netbook 10.10
    Broadcom 4312

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)bu

Have tried everything in these posts and still no luck. I have a 4312 and bottom line is when I click on network manager the wireless options are all blacked out. I've re-booted several times after trying the commands and suggestions, again with no luck.

I can download the latest drivers from Broadcom as someone suggested but being a newbie I have no idea how to "build" them. Growing very frustrated with all this since my wireless was working last week prior to updates...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

Quote Originally Posted by jmullagh View Post
    Currently, this solved my issue as well however, you also have to, in Synaptic, remove the bcm43 driver which is, in Synaptic, 'firmware-b43-installer' the same time you install 'firmware-b43-lpphy-installer'. If you don't the system seems to get confused and reverts to the original driver driving you up the wall.... again. Good Luck !!!
    Tried this- the lpphy is the only one installed (the other was removed already). Now what?

I just don't understand how it can work & then not? In fact, when it's "on" the range & speed is better than in XP. It even picked up my networked hub. The network details show it's been assigned an IP address from the router.

My dilemma is getting it to work properly because I'm having my kids take this with them on an overseas trip- it'll be our only connection...I hate the thought of reverting back to XP but I won't have a choice if I can't get the wireless going.

Beans

I have a broadcom 4321 card and had been using XP for a while on a Dell Mini 10v netbook. But, the wireless did not work properly. It used to connect, and then disconnect on its own.
    Then, I decided to install Ubuntu 10.10 in hopes that it would solve the problem. But, it has not. Connection comes and goes at will. Also, I am using a Windows 7 computer with connectify installed to act as the wireless hotspot. It uses WPA encryption.

I am using the STA driver 5.60.48, which is not the latest, but is the only one available in the repositories.

I can't download the latest drivers from the Broadcom website and compile them myself. Then, what can I do to fix this problem? Please help.

I really really really need help soon. Please. I read this whole thread and tried them out, but no use.

Any help whatsoever will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What exactly has to happen to get the latest driver in the repositories?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by colio View Post
    What exactly has to happen to get the latest driver in the repositories?
    Well I don't know exactly. I guess the update has to go through some kind of verification process and then it'll get to the repositories.

Honestly, I think the process should be a bit faster because its already been a while since the update has been release on the official website, so it should be coming on to the repositories soon; hopefully..

Really hoping for a fix the this wireless problem really soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Ramone View Post
    Thank you, is solved!
    OK, on my Mac Powerbook G4, I had to bring up Synaptics, 'search button' look for b43, remove any of those packages.
    Then, reinstall b43-fwcutter and the b43 legacy fw installer
    magic, I then have wireless connection to my WPA network

QwUo173Hy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

NVM, I've started a fresh thread about this since my problem exists on Lucid also.
    Last edited by QwUo173Hy; November 21st, 2010 at 05:07 PM.

Beans

Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)bu

Coolio,

Did you get this fixed yet? I had the same problem with my PC but somehow I reinstalled some packages, and installed some new packages, restarted, my PC, and it worked.

I am not an expert in Linux at all...everything I did was either in System --> Administration --> Additional Drivers, or System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager

1. ) Under Additional Drivers, I removed and reinstalled the proprietary driver ( not sure if this actually helped or not )
    2.) Under the package manager, I installed broadcom-sta-common ( no idea if I needed it, but it said it supported my device, so I installed it )
    3.) I also installed firmware-b43-installer ( again, not sure if this helped )
    4.) Also, you can check to make sure the following are already installed:
    bcmw-kernel-source, broadcom-sta-source,b43-cutter, and bcmwl-modaliases
    If they are not installed, install them. I don't know if all of them are needed, but I have all of them installed. Again, not sure if all of these steps are needed, but something in this process worked for me.

5.) The last thing I did was reinstall the network-manager package. This is the software that I believe is responsible for GUI interface that allows you to select your wireless network ( which you currently can't even do! )

You should be able to do 2-5 in the synaptic package manager tool . Once all this is done, restart the computer, and hopefully your wireless will be working...

Beans

Hi, Everyone on the Forum,

I am more than less a newbie to Linuxiana. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 (build: 2.6.35-23-generic-pae) onto a Dell Inspiron 1545 notebook, alongside with Win 7. No wireless extensions can be detected, although wireless was functioning properly before I upgraded to 2.6.35-23-generic-pae. In System>Administration>Additional Drives I have these 2 options: 1. Broadcom B43 Wireless driver: "Disabled"; 2. Broadcom STA Wireless driver: "Enabled but not in use".
    As probably the only solution remaining, I was trying to "untar" and build Broadcom's Linux hybrid wireless driver, but with no success. (My wireless card, a Broadcom 4315 (rev 01), is not listed among the Supported Devices for this "hybrid wl", the 802.11 Linux STA driver, although it says "cards not listed may also work") Can anybody help me? either showing how to "untar" the "hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.2.tar.gz" tar-file, or else, tell me how I can "put in use" the otherwise "enabled" Broadcom STA Wireless driver?I will be grateful for any help. I'm desperate...

Thanks,
    Podas okys

Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast