Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.04 - Precise Pangolin)

Beans

Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Problem in Maverik Meerkat, 10.10, with the Broadband 43xx Wireless Card: Unable to download firmware for wireless.

Error Message:

Solution: System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager > Search: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer > Click Mark > Click install > Close

Kontza found the solution (post #3), so thank him for it.

This solution fixed this problem on my Dell Inspiron 1545 with a Broadcom 4312 card. (Card Tech Specs: 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01))
    Ok, follow instruction, found as expected. It cannot be installed because I have no internet connection and no ethernet port on my computer. I have it on my install disk but do not know how to install it from my install disk. I found the package on install disk and when i tried to install it from the disk, it informed me I was not on the internet HELP. I AM NEW

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytm View Post
    I never really did anything Right after I installed Ubuntu I connected my ethernet card. awith the wored connection active now I went to system-->administration-->additional drivers My computer then did a search for availabe drivers and 2 drivers showed up, there was a b43 driver and the sta driver. I clicked o the sta driver and then pressed the activate button. After that all worked well. But I would recommend NOT using the b43 driver unless absolute last resort. I had that problem before. If you want the link where you can download the drivers from t not a problem, But the driver would have to be built first. Try this first though
    Code:
     sudo apt-get --purge remove bcmwl-kernel-source
     sudo apt-get install patch  
     sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    if it still doesn't work you can try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source
    One line at a time of course
    It wont happen because I have no wired connection. I have the file on the install disk, but do not have the knowledge to install it from the install disk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytm View Post
    I never really did anything Right after I installed Ubuntu I connected my ethernet card. awith the wored connection active now I went to system-->administration-->additional drivers My computer then did a search for availabe drivers and 2 drivers showed up, there was a b43 driver and the sta driver. I clicked o the sta driver and then pressed the activate button. After that all worked well. But I would recommend NOT using the b43 driver unless absolute last resort. I had that problem before. If you want the link where you can download the drivers from t not a problem, But the driver would have to be built first. Try this first though
    Code:
     sudo apt-get --purge remove bcmwl-kernel-source
     sudo apt-get install patch  
     sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    if it still doesn't work you can try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source
    One line at a time of course
    tried both ways and came up with error 1. I had the netnet before I had to reinstall, and I had the internet during the install.
    but now now. what can I do?

Beans

Dell Latitude XT2 with BCM4322 (0x432b) and Ubuntu 10.10

The proprietary driver (STA) shipped with 10.10 disconnected at random and quite often rendering it unusable.

As someone has been mentioned earlier in this thread there is a new and updated driver available at http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php .

Current version available at their website is 5.100.82.3
    Version shipped with Ubuntu 10.10 is 5.60.48.36

The numbers spoke for themselves so I tried installing the drivers from the site.

Synopsis of the steps:
    - I removed anything installed that showed up after searching for "broadcom" in Synaptic Package Manager.
    - Followed the instructions in the readme.txt provided on the page.

The instructions shamelessly mentioned a previously installed wl.ko, in my case it was something else. Check the current installed drivers with "ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/net/wireless" (note: dont touch lib80211*)

Been up and running flawlessly for half a day now.
    /success !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I thought I'd try out ubuntu 10.10 on my acer aspire one d250 to see how things were going these days with ubuntu.

No wireless of the bat, and none of the solutions in the repository worked for me. The "install additional drivers" tool seemed to make my wireless interface disappear completely.

I ended up downloading the driver from broadcom and compiling it. This works.

I'm surprised there are so many problems with the broadcom drivers still.

Didn't think I'd be using "make" as one of the first linux commands in 2011 haha. Not exactly user freindly.

Read the README.txt on the broadcom site and follow the instructions and you should be ok if you can interpret the commands. I had to change a few things for it to work for me.

Originally Posted by Sef
    Problem in Maverik Meerkat, 10.10, with the Broadband 43xx Wireless Card: Unable to download firmware for wireless.

Error Message:

Solution: System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager > Search: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer > Click Mark > Click install > Close

Kontza found the solution (post #3), so thank him for it.

This solution fixed this problem on my Dell Inspiron 1545 with a Broadcom 4312 card. (Card Tech Specs: 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01))

Ok, follow instruction, found as expected. It cannot be installed because I have no internet connection and no ethernet port on my computer. I have it on my install disk but do not know how to install it from my install disk. I found the package on install disk and when i tried to install it from the disk, it informed me I was not on the internet HELP. I AM NEW
    If you have a computer that has access to the net, then you can go here and find them. I do not have the time now to get which subcategory they are in. You would download the packages, make sure that you have all the dependencies needed, and burn them to a disk and then put the disk into the machine without internet.

Try Lucid - an older version or natty, which is in testing mode, so expect a lot of bugs.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have this same netbook. The aspire one D250. Can I get a link to the wireless driver? Or some info about how to get it to work? I just installed 10.10 desktop and I have no wireless connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mr best buy View Post
    There's some good instructions on Ubuntu Documentation on installing drivers from the install media by adding a CD as a repository.

Essentially in your software sources, CDROM appears as a choice. It's probably unchecked now. Check it and it should ask for the Disc when you do an update.

I'm having the same problem as you except my LAN port doesn't do anything when the wire's plugged in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Just wanted to say thanks for the information here, saved me a lot of time and trouble Worked great for my BCM4312 chipset.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The Broadcom driver is here:
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Follow the readme carefully if you go this route. If you don't blacklist the old drivers it wont work once you reboot.

Like I said, it worked for me on an acer aspire one d250 with the (BCM4312 I believe) but YMMV.

Well at least Broadcom is releasing proper linux drivers these days... no more ndiswrapper BS.

Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast