Thread: does disk space keep reducing on every update?

Beans

Cool does disk space keep reducing on every update?

hi
    i just want to know if the my disk space keeps reducing every time i update my pc.
    recently i installed 10.10 and when ever updates are available, (of 100MB plus),i install them.
    just want to know if i'm loosing my disk space?
    any help....
    olderek

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: does disk space keep reducing on every update?

try running sudo apt-get clean or sudo apt-get autoclean
    that should delete downloaded archive files

Beans

I do my updates via CLI. It tells me how much space will be used/free with the update. Sometimes the updates free up more space than they use. As the new files may be smaller or larger than the ones they are replacing.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

try also

sudo apt-get autoremove

autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and that are no more needed.
    Notebook ASUS A6JCMAS.219, Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz,2GiB System Memory, Video G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300], HD 100GB HTS541010G9AT00, Network Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] (rev 02)

Beans

Just to extend on what's been said above, purely from personal experience, I find that most updates use some disk space, but it isn't much and occasionally some is actually freed. The reason this happens is that when you download a 100MB update, the files in that update REPLACE files that are already on your system, so only a few megabytes are actually added.
    The cleaning commands above will also help to keep disk use as low as possible by deleting old files that APT no longer needs.
    Angus