Page 51 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Shell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNOME Shell

Unfortunately, 4.6 is the latest for Debian PPC; 4.8 is just coming-out and there aren't any PPC packages yet. I could try and compile the whole thing myself, but I'm not suicidal.
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans
    Distro

Just did a fresh compile-from-scratch of GS today (first in a while), and I was surprised that it went right through to the end without error.

My joy was short-lived, however, when I tried to fire it up, and got:

Code:
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge": libatk-bridge.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge": libatk-bridge.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail-gnome": libgail-gnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    mutter: symbol lookup error: /home/sgage/gnome-shell/install/lib/gtk-3.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: undefined symbol: gtk_quit_add
    sgage@presa:~$ /usr/bin/compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
    No value set for `/apps/compiz-1/general/allscreens/options/active_plugins'
    Any ideas?

TIA

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Just did a fresh compile-from-scratch of GS today (first in a while), and I was surprised that it went right through to the end without error.

My joy was short-lived, however, when I tried to fire it up, and got:

Code:
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail-gnome": libgail-gnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    mutter: symbol lookup error: /home/sgage/gnome-shell/install/lib/gtk-3.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: undefined symbol: gtk_quit_add
    sgage@presa:~$ /usr/bin/compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
    No value set for `/apps/compiz-1/general/allscreens/options/active_plugins'
    Any ideas?

TIA
    Run it with the --replace option. Right now, Compiz is getting in the way. This will have it stop compiz and take over as a window manager. On exit, compiz will get restored.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wacked_up View Post
    Run it with the --replace option. Right now, Compiz is getting in the way. This will have it stop compiz and take over as a window manager. On exit, compiz will get restored.
    Well, I did run it with the --replace option (been fiddling with Gnome Shell for a long time). And the odd thing, I'm running in Natty Classic (no effects) - I'm running metacity.

Very confusing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Well, I did run it with the --replace option (been fiddling with Gnome Shell for a long time). And the odd thing, I'm running in Natty Classic (no effects) - I'm running metacity.

Very confusing!
    Try deleting /home/sgage/gnome-shell/install/lib/gtk-3.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so
    There was some conflict where that file wants to use something that's been deprecated. I thought the issue was resolved in more recent builds, but I guess not
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

Encountered an error when building Mutter. Here's the error:

Code:
    cc1: warnings being treated as errors
    core/main.c: In function ‘sigterm_handler’:
    core/main.c:445: error: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    make[4]: *** [main.o] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/tom/gnome-shell/source/mutter/src'
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/tom/gnome-shell/source/mutter/src'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tom/gnome-shell/source/mutter/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tom/gnome-shell/source/mutter'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    *** Error during phase build of mutter: ########## Error running make   *** [16/33]
    Use what works out best for you, whether it be Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. It isn't rocket science.

No longer active here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quadunit404 View Post

Code:
    core/main.c:445: error: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    *** Error during phase build of mutter: ########## Error running make   *** [16/33]
    same here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Code:
    Same thing here... ill try an older revision of mutter to check if it is of any help...

EDIT: There was a commit in main.c file on 24/01. This commit is the cause of the warning. Just rollback this file to the previous commit and the compilation will proceed.

Code:
    $git log ~/gnome-shell/source/mutter/src/core.c

commit 48b9807c86d520b4b007dd0a438f3c5d72a9a477 <---- the number that you want
    Author: Nickolas Lloyd <ultrageek.lloyd@gmail.com>
    Date:   Tue Aug 17 10:41:18 2010 +0000

$git checkout 48b9807c86d520b4b007dd0a438f3c5d72a9a477 ~/gnome-shell/source/mutter/src/core.c
    Last edited by rchiossi; January 25th, 2011 at 03:48 AM.

Beans

Tried that. GNOME Shell became unusably slow. I mean, a snail could perform faster than it

EDIT: Well, damn, just realized there's a GS patch that fixes performance on NVIDIA cards, and I just deleted my installation. Looks like I'll have to rebuild tomorrow.
    Last edited by Quadunit404; January 25th, 2011 at 04:54 AM.
    Use what works out best for you, whether it be Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. It isn't rocket science.

No longer active here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rchiossi View Post
    Same thing here... ill try an older revision of mutter to check if it is of any help...

EDIT: There was a commit in main.c file on 24/01. This commit is the cause of the warning. Just rollback this file to the previous commit and the compilation will proceed.

Code:
    $git log ~/gnome-shell/source/mutter/src/core.c

commit 48b9807c86d520b4b007dd0a438f3c5d72a9a477 <---- the number that you want
    Author: Nickolas Lloyd <ultrageek.lloyd@gmail.com>
    Date:   Tue Aug 17 10:41:18 2010 +0000

$git checkout 48b9807c86d520b4b007dd0a438f3c5d72a9a477 ~/gnome-shell/source/mutter/src/core.c
    how would you do the rollback?

Tried that. GNOME Shell became unusably slow. I mean, a snail could perform faster than it

EDIT: Well, damn, just realized there's a GS patch that fixes performance on NVIDIA cards, and I just deleted my installation. Looks like I'll have to rebuild tomorrow.
    which patch would that be, im trying to build on desktop w/ nvidia.

Page 51 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast