Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is GParted that awesome?

Beans

Re: Is GParted that awesome?

I'm glad to hear that Apple has almost reached great stock NTFS support, so nobody will have to download NTFS-3g and then worry about its not-perfect system (extremely slow or damaging the drive).

If that damn filesystem had case-sensitive journaling, it would be the ideal storage system!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeyrn View Post
    If that damn filesystem had case-sensitive journaling, it would be the ideal storage system!
    And if there were adequate tools in Linux to repair the journal so that you didn't have to rely on Windows, and if it wasn't so prone to fragmentation, and if there was a way to support Unix permissions, and if it allowed characters in filenames that are supported in Unix/Linux.....

then....

.... we might have a filesystem that comes halfway to being ideal under domestic conditions only.

Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Well, that's pretty picky. Those other things would be nice, but if I just had some case-sensitivity I'd be happy.

But, now that I think about it, having no CHKDSK in Linux is one of the biggest PITAs ever. ntfsfix doesn't get the job done... but that's what Hiren's BootCD is for!

Google that, by the way. Best boot software EVER.

Heh, honestly, I think Apple adopting ext, letting Linux use the iPod for free, and using open-source, and all that ridiculous crap is more likely than NTFS becoming that awesome. That, or a better filesystem replacing NTFS as the default tri-compatible filesystem.
    Last edited by Cadeyrn; October 23rd, 2010 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Well, that's pretty picky.
    True - I was having fun. But the last point I made is certainly valid. There was a thread a few days ago from someone who had several hundred files that they wanted to copy to a Windows using friend. Every one had filename characters disallowed in NTFS. Oops.

That, or a better filesystem replacing NTFS as the default tri-compatible filesystem.
    Yes, it's being developed. It's going to be called the flying-pigs FS.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

The only problem I had with NTFS and its annoying character limits was STALKER mods. Russian filenames. It was awful. I had to copy the files back and forth using Linux, and let the NTFS drive change them to ????? so that they would work with the mods. That's what I had to do to make it stop crashing!

Hmmm... Well, Apple is never willing to bend to be compatible more than they have to, so perhaps the solution is to make Windows adopt HFS+? It is a pretty good filesystem...

Ooh! Or, we wait a few years for Windows to finally die.
    Last edited by Cadeyrn; October 23rd, 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123