Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does Ubuntu 10.04 hate newer Nvidia drivers?

Beans

Re: Why does Ubuntu 10.04 hate newer Nvidia drivers?

hello Objekt,

the xx.44 nvidia driver behaves the same way as the rest on kde 4.6.1... the CUBE freezes >all< the time - even without uvesafb. I will stick to my original kde 4.4 for now, and upgrade from the 4.6.1 "test" distro if there is anything new released...

now, regarding the 32 bit you are running on a core2:
    >bashmark< on a 64bit linux ( i5 cpu ) showed 900%+ performance increase on floating point / FPU benchmark compared to a 32bit distro - with ALMOST the same kernel config...
    simply install bashmark package or get the source, run it on your 32bit system.... than boot off a 64 bit Live CD/DVD and run it again.... ( i think it comes on the Sabayon linux live dvd ) If the difference also shows several hundred percent, you probably will be able to run a full screen netflix in a virtual_box...
    from forums.gentoo.org:
    "If you are working on 64bit long variables, this improvement seems possible. Double by default is (afair) 64bit long, so in 32bit mode multiplying 2 doubles is 4xmultiplying 32bit registers and then some moving and adding to create the result. Under 64bit kernel it's just one command."
    If you would find some spare time, running >bashmark< on 32 and 64 bit would probably be a good idea on a core2 box....

thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Why does Ubuntu 10.04 hate newer Nvidia drivers?

I have no idea how to install Bashmark on Ubuntu. I also downloaded & booted the live CD for Sabayon (both 32- and 64-bit). Same problem - I can't figure out how to install bashmark. So I can't run bashmark, sorry.
    Last edited by Objekt; March 16th, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thumbs up Re: Why does Ubuntu 10.04 hate newer Nvidia drivers?

Thanks for a heads up on some procedures that I may need for getting an eMachines®/Acer® EL1210-09 (Advance Micro Devices® Athlon 64™ LE-1620, nVIDIA® MCP78S chipset, planar nVIDIA® GeForce® 8200 GPU) ready for projection-computer duty. I presume that ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates is the needed PPA at Launchpad, in the event that Lucid Main has the wrong nVIDIA-Current driver package?

Code:
    gksudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    gksudo apt-get update
    gksudo apt-get upgrade
    (Courtesy whorider at UbuntuGeek.com.)
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12