Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Media (UPnP/DLNA) setup on a Linux/Android home

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Media (UPnP/DLNA) setup on a Linux/Android home

Looks promising but on the download page it has a package from 2007 and I cannot find any .apk to install?

Beans

Your search is over. www.skifta.com. What I'd really like now is a unix client to push my Ubuntu desktop's content to my WDTV Live (DLNA enabled) device. That is, phone independent.
    Last edited by fertroya; February 1st, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Looks promising! Please let us know of your experiences. This just maybe is the 'one ring to bind em' I've been looking for

Beans

Skifta force closed every time I browsed anything. I tried andromote but it wasn't much better. I am having very good luck with 2player. Its in the market.

Are there any good desktop based control points? The phone is cool but sometimes I want to just control things from my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

It seems the options are growing in number, great!

XBMC is a really cool client but I gave it up since it was really hard on my 5 year laptop, the CPU fan was running constantly. Do you know if there are any hacks/alternatives with lighter UI as that's what's draining the CPU?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi dabbi2000 did you get something working yet?
    i have tried a few things and found that Rygel works as a render for audio with Andromote as the controller.
    One thing i wondered about what you initially said though - playing music all around the house - you cannot easily do that using multiple computers - if that is what you meant? They will not play in synch. You have to get something like sonos if you want the same music playing through the house in synch, i think. The best app for your phone to play music from a upnp server that i have found is called plugplayer, it looks and works good but it doesn't work with rygel!! The developer said he would be checking this out though so keep your eye on plugplayer. If you don't have m4a files you could try using rhythmbox with the coherence upnp plugin, this does work with plugplayer (as long as your music is not m4a which half mine is!)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drjimmy42 View Post
    Skifta force closed every time I browsed anything. I tried andromote but it wasn't much better. I am having very good luck with 2player. Its in the market.

Are there any good desktop based control points? The phone is cool but sometimes I want to just control things from my laptop.
    Try upnp inspector it shows up all the devices on your local network, right click a device to remote control playback on that device

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I kind of gave up on this after trying out some solutions of which none worked flawlessly. In the meantime I've been using more and more of streaming services like Grooveshark and to control my media computers in the house I just remote-desktop them from my netbook. Not as comfy as using the phone but it works! I will try out Skifta and Rygel, thanks for your tips!

Beans

I've been using 2player for a while and its been great. So far I only use it to play the media on my phone and not forwarded it to another renderer but its been great.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drjimmy42 View Post
    I've been using 2player for a while and its been great. So far I only use it to play the media on my phone and not forwarded it to another renderer but its been great.

I have tried a lot of apps and all of them have worked great for playing music on the phone itself. It is only when you try to use the phone to control another renderer that everything seems to get a lot less reliable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast