Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: file is not marked as exe...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: file is not marked as exe...

Quote Originally Posted by ebruzzone View Post
    Hey! that worked out well. But may I ask why on 10.10 permissions are only allowed on the Linux drive? Until the last version I used may .jar programs directly from my external hard drive.

Thanks again!
    It's not a question of being allowed or not, but simply if the file system used is able to handle them or not. Nothing has changed.

NTFS and FAT file systems completely lack support for file ownerships/permissions as they are used in Linux/Unix.

..and filesystems used on CD's and DVD's are read-only by design.

So since these filesystems don't support the permissions, and can't store them in any way, you can't use chown/chmod on them. Instead the ownership & permissions are set for the whole disc/partition at the time it's mounted.

If you have any removable drive formatted in any Linux filesystem, you are of course able to change the permissions and ownerships on it.

If you were previously able to execute .jar files form your external partition,a nd it was a FAT/NTFS filesystem, you must have had it configured to mount with execute permissions. Meaning that every file on the drive was considered as executable. That sure hasn't been the default configuration in any Ubuntu release, but if you want to set such mount options yourself then read this fstab guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

Beans

If you were previously able to execute .jar files form your external partition,a nd it was a FAT/NTFS filesystem, you must have had it configured to mount with execute permissions. Meaning that every file on the drive was considered as executable. That sure hasn't been the default configuration in any Ubuntu release
    That's been the default on external NTFS formatted drives in Ubuntu until 10.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    That's been the default on external drives in Ubuntu until 10.10.
    if that's true, it definitely is strange since I for sure can't remember having default execute permissions on files, even on removable drives, on any of my past Ubuntu installs.

Doesn't sound like the most safe setup, really, so if it was like that then I can definitely see why it's been fixed now.
    Last edited by mcduck; November 4th, 2010 at 01:47 PM.

Beans

If you go back in the changelog of udisks you can see the changes to the mount options for vfat, ntfs volumes and the reason for.
    The issue with .exe and .jar is separate - they don't need to be set as executable to run, nor can they be set on vfat, ntfs volumes (& cd/dvd-roms

They aren't run because the default launch commands for wine (Wine Windows Program Loader) and java contain cautious-launcher in them. That script does look for the bit and prevents the execution if not found. (usr/bin/cautious-launcher

A simple 'workaround' for example on .exe's is to open directly with wine from cli, ie.
    wine /path/to/whatever.exe
    or to use the r. click open with - other application - custom command and just use wine as the command - in the future 'wine' will be a r. click option and an available default option for d. left click

A more direct solution is to edit the .desktop and set the Exec= back to the pre cautious launcher one.

What cannot be done any more (without altering the mount options in udisks), is run scripts from vfat/ntfs volumes, and if you do alter then all files will become executable which was the intent of the udisks change in preventing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks for the "Open With" wine tip. it works for me. Now it at least appears to be working the way it used to.
    “Humanity must rise above the earth, to the top of the atmosphere and beyond. For only then will we understand the world in which we live.”
    -Socrates-
    http://www.overviewinstitute.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

this should work now
    May the source be with you...! 8)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by abumaia View Post
    thanks for the "Open With" wine tip. it works for me. Now it at least appears to be working the way it used to.
    Cool.

Beans

What about .jar files? Wine is not able to open them. btw if you tick open with jar it will not work. It gives me the message

The file '/media/ERIC/USB/DimSum.jar' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ebruzzone View Post
    What about .jar files? Wine is not able to open them.
    No, it's not. Java is.

"java /path/to/somefile.jar"

or right-click and select the option to run the file with whatever Java version you have installed.

The main point is that if you don't execute a file directly, but only pass it as an argument to some other program (wine, java, mono, sh, python, whatever) the file doesn't need to be executable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubudog View Post
    Open a terminal (however you do that in XFCE, I forgot) and type in the following and then try what you did in the beginning.

Code:
    chmod +x filename
    (filename being the name of the file)

The above command will make the file executable, so everything should work now. Good luck!
    Amazing! that worked for me too. I had a java program (StrangeBrew) that would not execute. I had to install open jdk java and then I tried this and it's working now.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast