Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Card issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Card issues

Thanks guys for the solutiuons...Im running Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit...im gona try the soloution lets hope it works

Will write back if worked

No work
    Last edited by Dead ChexMix; October 26th, 2010 at 01:41 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dead ChexMix View Post
    Thanks guys for the solutiuons...Im running Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit...im gona try the soloution lets hope it works

Will write back if worked

No work
    Ok, this didn't work for me until I actually did a fresh install and I plugged my laptop into a wired connection and did all of my updates via wired, then I ran the solution from CompShrink.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stead21 View Post
    Ok, this didn't work for me until I actually did a fresh install and I plugged my laptop into a wired connection and did all of my updates via wired, then I ran the solution from CompShrink.

Ahh...Okay Ill try that (Hopefully my ehthernet wkill work -.-)

Beans
    Distro

It's been a couple days now and I finally have a stable connection. I had to download and compile the compat-wireless bleeding-edge stuff from the kernel.org website.
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans

I don't have a atheros card, but if you install "ndisgtk" from synaptic it gives you a nice gui that allowed me to install my windows drivers without any problem. These drivers actually worked better then the ones that were there already (B43 & STA for me). The only problem i have is that wpa_supplicant does not support ndiswrapper driver unless you compile it specifically to do so (which is what im working one now). Hope you get it working, good luck.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tstngry View Post
    I don't have a atheros card, but if you install "ndisgtk" from synaptic it gives you a nice gui that allowed me to install my windows drivers without any problem. These drivers actually worked better then the ones that were there already (B43 & STA for me). The only problem i have is that wpa_supplicant does not support ndiswrapper driver unless you compile it specifically to do so (which is what im working one now). Hope you get it working, good luck.

I've tried to install The wrapper. But there is no .inf drvier present for my card. Using the Windows hardware manger to find info about the DriverS there all .sys.

So here are the soloutions im going to try in the order i will try them...

1. Hooking up to my network Via ethernet (sorry if I spelled that wrong) and updating then retrying CompShriks soloution.

2. Trying the Bleeding edge drivers

3. Attempting to find the .inf driver for my card (The Atheros website it selfish and doesnt let you get drivers from them) and then using the ndisgtk set to run it

4. Punt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello,
    I have the same card ,(the ethonet works),I installed the ath9k driver but it still won't work and says wirelrss disabled,Iv done a lot of reading about this I'v postedmy own question with no reply
    I tried the compshrink solution and it did not,work it just took of the driver, so I put it back and still nothing,I would be very great fullfor any corospondents at all.,,,MHH

(on Maverick) I have the phisical switch on.
    this is wer I got the ath9k,I didn't build it

http://apt.ubuntu.com/p/linux-backpo...verick-generic
    I also came across this
    Enabling ath9k

To enable ath9k, you must first enable mac80211:

Networking --->
    Wireless --->
    <M> Improved wireless configuration API
    <M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211)You can then enable ath9k in the kernel configuration under

Device Drivers --->
    [*] Network device support --->
    Wireless LAN --->

<M> Atheros 802.11n wireless cards support

at http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Dr...Enabling_ath9k
    The above makes no sense because threr is no networking,ther is network,under places,I can't find Device Drivers,,,ther is,,Aditional Drivers under Adminasteration, that says ther are no proprietary drivers in use.

I want to upgrade to Studio Ubuntu ,it says you get no wireless with it,I thought I'd work out how to get it working first, I mite aswell do that now as I am getting no wer with the wireless,
    My details are hear,,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...R9285+Wireless
    thanks. J
    Last edited by MYHEADHURTS; March 9th, 2011 at 09:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I know it sounds silly, but have you made sure your lappie/netbook doesn't have it's wireless turned-off by a physical switch or something?

Did you build the ath9k from compat-wireless; i.e., how did you install it?
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have this card and it works fine with the proper Ath9k drivers. They should be available native since around 2.6.30 or so (not sure exact release). I don't think you should need to use Ndis drivers at all unless you are using some very old release. Even many old releases worked with Ath9k when using the compat-wireless back ports.

The nice thing about the Ath9k drivers is they support master mode allowing use as an access point (which I've done). On recent versions my card was detected and available at boot so I'd be sure to check your wifi card isn't set physically power off.

See this page: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k
    They say 2.6.32 is recommended but 2.6.27 was first native kernel.
    Last edited by BkkBonanza; March 7th, 2011 at 03:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have the same card, AR9285, and the only issue i have is that of the 15 wireless networks around my house it cant see any of them except the one created by my android phone.

Running Ubuntu 10.10, nm-tool output:

- Device: wlan0 ------------------------------------------------- Type: 802.11 WiFi
    Driver: ath9k
    State: disconnected
    Default: no
    HW Address: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Capabilities:

Wireless Properties
    WEP Encryption: yes
    WPA Encryption: yes
    WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Access Points

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast