Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: sda1 corrupted and unmountable

Beans

Smile Re: sda1 corrupted and unmountable

Quote Originally Posted by aslam View Post
    Parted Magic did the trick for me. Successfully recovered ubuntu 10.10 using gparted within parted magic
    Here is the link for parted magic http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads
    That did the trick for me too. Thank you very much. This the second time I've had this problem. The first time I couldn't find a decent answer so I just reinstalled the whole OS. Not sure why it is reoccuring though. Hopefully it doesn't happen with 11.04.

Beans

Re: sda1 corrupted and unmountable

I have MacBook Pro 7.1 and have this problem. Slax doesn't boot (SCSI not supported), copy slax folder workaround doesn't work. Any idea what can I do?

Beans

Parted Magic live CD and "e2fsck -f -y- v /dev/sda3" worked!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fhucho View Post
    Parted Magic live CD and "e2fsck -f -y- v /dev/sda3" worked!
    Thanks everyone, this worked for me as well on my gf's Samsung N210 running 10.10 Netbook Remix.

I had issues getting Parted Magic to boot off a thumb drive as well, found this thread in case anyone has that same issue

Beans

Hello!

There is a more simple way to fix the issue without booting to Slax. Just boot to "Rescue a broken system" from your Ubuntu LiveCD and simply choose "Do not use a root filesystem" and "Execute a shell in the installer environment" on the "Enter rescue mode" screens and you will get "No filesystems were mounted".

I had the same issue in my Ubuntu 10.10 running inside VirtualBox and could do fsck in this rescue mode.
    Here the screencast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReKMtNihNMU (watch the HD version)
    Last edited by onivan; June 11th, 2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added video

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by onivan View Post
    Hello!

There is a more simple way to fix the issue without booting to Slax. Just boot to "Rescue a broken system" from your Ubuntu LiveCD and simply choose "Do not use a root filesystem" and "Execute a shell in the installer environment" on the "Enter rescue mode" screens and you will get "No filesystems were mounted".

I had the same issue in my Ubuntu 10.10 running inside VirtualBox and could do fsck in this rescue mode.
    Here the screencast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReKMtNihNMU (watch the HD version)

Ohh, good to know. It's a little bit late since that, but will definitely keep that in mind.

Beans

Exclamation Re: sda1 corrupted and unmountable

Quote Originally Posted by onivan View Post
    There is a more simple way to fix the issue without booting to Slax. Just boot to "Rescue a broken system" from your Ubuntu LiveCD
    The simpler way is to create a Slax CD, believe me. I wasted hours on this stupid issue today.

1. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS live CD does not contain a recovery mode You get a splash screen telling you to run the live cd because you can then search the web for your problem and most likely fix it from the live cd. Did someone write that just to annoy users?

2. Slax 6.1.2 is super tiny and will burn/download/transfer in a few moments compared to the bloated Ubuntu disc.

From there, I could run e2fsck and had a fixed system in 10 seconds.

Slax looks like an excellent fast rescue system, full of utils and nothing pointless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aslam View Post
    Parted Magic did the trick for me. Successfully recovered ubuntu 10.10 using gparted within parted magic
    Here is the link for parted magic http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads
    Parted Magic worked for me as well. For my self I had to make some adjustments.

1. Used Universal USB installer as opposed to UNetbootin
    2. Could not properly start the Parted Magic as it failed to draw the screen, both graphic option. But booted up in console.

From there fsck here I come!

Beans

Same problem for me: after an update or an improper shutdown, /dev/sda3,the / ext4 partition of my Ubuntu Maverick install was unable to be mounted and the system went to de ram shell state. Moreover I was unable to fsck the partition from an Ubuntu live CD.

The solution that worked for me was to boot with a Clonezilla live-cd to the shell prompt and then "e2fsck -f -y- v /dev/sda3" IT WORKED!!!

Beans

Same problem for me: after an improper shutdown, /dev/sda1,the / ext4 partition of my Ubuntu 10.10 install was unable to be mounted and the system went to de ram shell state. Moreover I was unable to fsck the partition from an Ubuntu live CD.

The solution that worked for me was to boot with a Slax live-cd (http://www.slax.org/) to the shell prompt and then "e2fsck -f -y- v /dev/sda1".

Thank you so much!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast