Thread: Another Ratel Ultra

Beans

Another Ratel Ultra

We've got another System76 computer on order -- this time a Ratel Ultra for my 70 year old mother. (For the nay-sayers who think that Linux is only for the young and technically proficient... Bah! She's been using Ubuntu since 2006)

That makes one PanP5 (mine), one Star1 (my friend's) and one Ratel Ultra (my Mom's) that I'm responsible for. When do I start getting to collect commissions?
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Another Ratel Ultra

Congratultions! I hope it serves her well!
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Hidden!

To HotShotDJ You are a good boy and I am sure you have made your mother very happy. When I first discovered the S76 computers, my first love was the Ratel. However, before I saved up the purchase price something went wrong in my back and it became apparent that I needed a laptop instead of a desktop. I bought a Panp4 instead and have never looked back. I bet your mom and I would enjoy a cup of tea together. I'm 75.

Have a great day. Eldera.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    (For the nay-sayers who think that Linux is only for the young and technically proficient... Bah! She's been using Ubuntu since 2006)
    "Technically illiterate" people have no trouble with Linux; for them one OS is just like another. The most they know is how to get FireFox up or start a card game, you can teach them everything they need to know in about 5 seconds. Linux is actually much better for those people because of the improved security, nothing is 100 percent fool-proof, but you are taking a much smaller risk. My grandparents have never used a computer, but if they ever do, I will make sure it is Ubuntu. System76 does a great things by providing very well working "out of the box" Linux machines.

"Technically proficient" people have little trouble with Linux. The system is very transparent and things make sense from technological point of view. It is easy to explain all the "obvious" advantages. Also, they are quick to learn new things.

The people that complain are the ones in the middle, they sort of know how to work on a computer, but they only know windows and switching to Linux will take hit on their productivity. They are somewhat willing to learn, but they don't want to start (almost) from scratch. They know things about windows, but not enough about technology to make sense of things from technological point of view, so learning for them is harder. They are by far the largest number of people out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Re: Another Ratel Ultra

We've got another System76 computer on order -- this time a Ratel Ultra for my 70 year old mother. (For the nay-sayers who think that Linux is only for the young and technically proficient... Bah! She's been using Ubuntu since 2006)

That makes one PanP5 (mine), one Star1 (my friend's) and one Ratel Ultra (my Mom's) that I'm responsible for. When do I start getting to collect commissions?
    I'm really interested in replacing my FIC ICE Cube VG61 system with a Ratel Ultra. However, my next cube will be a lot quieter than the current system.

What is the fan sound level like in the Ratel Ultra? Relative to a regular Desktop?

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    What is the fan sound level like in the Ratel Ultra? Relative to a regular Desktop?

- CH
    I haven't a clue. We haven't received the machine yet. I'll report back in this thread after we get it.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

My mother received her new Ratel Ultra on Tuesday... after getting the proper adapters (DMI-to-VGA and PS/2-to-USB for her keyboard and mouse) setting it up was a snap. MUCH easier than setting up a system that comes pre-installed with Windows. She was quite literally shocked when we plugged in her HP inkjet printer and it just worked with NO manual configuration. The only thing that would have made things easier would be if the people who maintain the Medibuntu repositories would create a deb package to set up the repositories rather than making users use the terminal. Then Mom could have done it all by herself!
    Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post

- CH
    @cement_head -- The Ratel Ultra is practically silent. Of course, I wasn't in a quiet room working on it and I was focusing on getting the software that she needs installed. Let me call Mom and ask her ... I'm on the phone with Mom as I type this. She is putting her ear up against the box and she tells me she can only hear a very very soft hum. She also reiterated how much she likes her new computer. I suspect that if you choose a Ratel Ultra for yourself, you will also like it.

@Eldera -- I mentioned your kind offer for tea to my mom, and she also thinks that it would be a fine idea. Next time I'm at her house (probably next week sometime) I'll set her up with an Ubuntu Forums account and make sure she private messages you.

Beans
    Hidden!

@Eldera -- I mentioned your kind offer for tea to my mom, and she also thinks that it would be a fine idea. Next time I'm at her house (probably next week sometime) I'll set her up with an Ubuntu Forums account and make sure she private messages you.
    What a nice idea. Thank you and have a great day. Eldera

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

My mother received her new Ratel Ultra on Tuesday... after getting the proper adapters (DMI-to-VGA and PS/2-to-USB for her keyboard and mouse) setting it up was a snap. MUCH easier than setting up a system that comes pre-installed with Windows. She was quite literally shocked when we plugged in her HP inkjet printer and it just worked with NO manual configuration. The only thing that would have made things easier would be if the people who maintain the Medibuntu repositories would create a deb package to set up the repositories rather than making users use the terminal. Then Mom could have done it all by herself!

@cement_head -- The Ratel Ultra is practically silent. Of course, I wasn't in a quiet room working on it and I was focusing on getting the software that she needs installed. Let me call Mom and ask her ... I'm on the phone with Mom as I type this. She is putting her ear up against the box and she tells me she can only hear a very very soft hum. She also reiterated how much she likes her new computer. I suspect that if you choose a Ratel Ultra for yourself, you will also like it.

That's awesome news - thanks for the update

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330