Thread: Help me get a wireless mouse/keyboard for 10.04

Beans

Help me get a wireless mouse/keyboard for 10.04

Looking to buy a wireless mouse/keyboard for my wife. Want one of good quality that will work with Ubuntu 10.04 and is in current production. Even better if its a brand that Fry's or Newegg carries.

Suggestions?

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans

Re: Help me get a wireless mouse/keyboard for 10.04

Bump!

Nobody successfully using these on 10.04?
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a cheap, Gear Head - Model KB5500W, wireless keyboard/mouse, that works great. No problems whatsoever.

Then again, you mentioned good quality, this was only $14, but it works on any OS I through at it.

Beans

Thanks, that is a good start, Google shows both Fry's and Newegg currently have it, so I'll take my wife to Fry's this weekend and she can decide if the quality is good enough for her or not. Although the prices listed on the websites are $35-40, not $14.

There are a lot of wireless keyboard/mouse combos out there, but precious little info as to which might work with Linux in general and Ubuntu 10.04 in specific.

I have seen a fair number of threads about problems with wireless mice on 10.10.

This forum is so busy that an unanswered question is three pages down an hour later, so not a lot of chance for someone who might have answers to actually see the question

Beans

I'd like to thank VMC for his recommendation of the Gear Head wireless mouse and keyboard.

Picked one up for like $25 and my wife loves the thing.

Couldn't be simpler:

Shut down Ubuntu (10.04)

Install batteries in mouse and keyboard.

Unplug old PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse.

Plug in usb wireless dongle.

Boot up.

Only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the slight delay starting up after the mouse has gone back to sleep. She has had no issues with it.

I'd like to encourage others who are successfully using wireless mice and keyboard to post the make and model numbers so others can have some idea of which ones should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use an Active "Model No PA-KB" wireless keyboard/mouse combo. I bought it from a charity shop for just a couple of quid. I know the fact it came, used, from a charity shop sort of means it's pretty old. And I was rather busy yesterday, so I know it works with 10.10 but haven't tried it with 10.04. Still. it looks pretty nice (good-looking grey keyboard with nice feel to the keys) and the optical mouse is basic but effective (the mouse has just two buttons? And a scroll-wheel that doesn't do anything?! How last century is that?).

But it does what I want to do (i can use the computer from the couch without messing around with the way I've got my hardware set up.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

My main point of this thread is to try and identify wireless mouse and keyboard hardware that works with Ubuntu and is currently in production.

I should mention that my Gear Head wireless mouse/keyboard is the model KB5100W, VMC recommended the KB5500W model, Fry's had both, I liked the 5100 setup a bit better and figured I'd exchange it if it didn't work.

Logitech has some very nice offerings but they all seem to come with setup software which suggests to be they might be trouble with Linux.

When I think about it, if the wireless USB dongle doesn't emulate a standard keyboard you'll have nothing but headaches if you need to do BIOS settings changes. This Gear Head one seems to work with my BIOS automatically.