Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Organizational Proposal submitted by JWDinKC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Organizational Proposal submitted by JWDinKC

I'm in agreement with Chris'(Chrwei) commitment to the community (not in the Jono Bacon sense of community, the less fortunate) and those whose lives would actually benefit from our help. That's Ubuntu from it's conception.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: Organizational Proposal submitted by JWDinKC

WOW! Thank you everyone for responding, and having enough tender left to be sparked! Upon joining the LocoMO I sent out an introductory email as a courtesy to all the members. The response I got back was mostly "I thought the group was comatose but you may be the one to wake it up!". I only got one response so far that conveyed no hope. It looks to me like we have exuberance and expertise. We need structure. I may have gotten a little ahead of myself in proposing proliferation before organization. Wyrless2002 obviously has some institutional awareness and has been kind enough to contribute that to us. Thanks to you I'm know a member on facebook even though I kind of hate it... I love having this thread though! You're bringing the A-game! Anyway, the team has 106 members but we really don't know who is active. Should we care? The group dynamic needs to be fluid. So, we need fluidity but structure. How do we acquire such a thing? I was just trying to gather the people who want to actively participate first. I'm happy to say the slow trickle of responses has now become a deluge! Most committees result in sub-committees and liaisons. I propose we start a LocoMO committee first. The committee can work together and with members to decide a charter. The charter will hopefully be a reflection of our purpose. After we realize a unified purpose it will be easier to assign sub-committees by region and or expertise to carry out that purpose. Does that sound like a good place to start?

Also - if you want to be on a vCard with all other active members send me an email and I'll add you. I'm going to send those out on Monday. Unless, someone here with more knowledge has a better way...

One more thing...I'm totally pulling this out of my *** and am at your mercy.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by imahussey View Post
    I nominate you JWDinKC as president for the New Kansas City Loco. You can obviously wake up the people here who want to help but have no one to lead them. I'm just a pawn but would love to be more involved as would most of the others. I live in Lenexa KS, so I would join your Kansas City Loco if you started one. The Ubuntu forums for Missouri and Kansas could be a good place to start it up and locate members who live in the area.
    I'm flattered. I'm prolly no more of an advanced user than you. I'm just going to do what I can and look forward to others doing the same.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wyrless2002 View Post
    I'm in agreement with Chris'(Chrwei) commitment to the community (not in the Jono Bacon sense of community, the less fortunate) and those whose lives would actually benefit from our help. That's Ubuntu from it's conception.

I second! I was noticing the software center already has an app that helps the web cam work as a mouse by reading head gestures. We could make peoples lives better who may not have had access due to cost restraints and physical disabilities. I hope once we organized this can be included in out charter if it is decided to create one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all, i'd like to let the group know i'm on board with getting this group going in some way. may i suggest that we host a chat or group skype conference this weekend. myself, i am no salesman but i can take the ideas we come up with and put them to code. i've been using ubuntu to 4+ years now and it is probably about time i give something back to the open source community.

EDIT: btw i'm in springfield
    Always,
    John

Beans

For months I have monitored this thread and wondered why it was not active. It is good to see activity after such a long silence.

I am getting emails from this thread and the Launchpad thread which makes me wonder if everyone is seeing all the activity. I would encourage everyone that is active to use one or the other to communicate.

I live about as far away from KC as you can in this state, and to get to St Louis is a 3 hour drive. I want to be involved as much as anyone and I would recommend as central location as possible to meet, at least initially.

I agree also that thee needs to be a group communication event and a weekend Skype conference is a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

im glad to c its finally coming together about some sort of internet chat i know i couldnt get to alot of the meetings myself but im willing to try and hlp myself due what i can let me know if i can hlp out or whatnot im not more than a desktop user myself

Beans
    Distro

BTW...I'm JWDinKC. I just haven't figure out how to change my forum name on here. But I'm the same guy from launchpad. So far I have 17 contacts on the vCard if that's going to work for everyone. Anyone who hasn't emailed me to be on the vCard but wants on it, do so soon please. Once I have the vCard I'm either going to email it out to everyone, or post it somewhere to be downloaded. I'm on skype and aim as jwdinkc. J.d. Wayne is my facebook name. On IRC I'm Stray_Wolf.
    Last edited by Stray Wolf; October 21st, 2010 at 04:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is why I think we should reconsider having meetings in Kansas City.

Escaped chimp attacks Kansas City police car!

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story...storyid=222564

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast