Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VirtualBox will not allow install of 64-bit OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: VirtualBox will not allow install of 64-bit OS

Thanks, memilanuk - shame it isn't going to work. Well, the thing is 4-5 years old. Maybe time for a new one?
    Well, if you are set on running 64-bit, probably so. I seem to be able to run 32-bit pretty merrily for my uses, and probably will for years to come. Still not entirely sure what attraction 64-bit has for a guest OS running on 2GB or less or RAM, etc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VirtualBox will not allow install of 64-bit OS

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    Well, if you are set on running 64-bit, probably so. I seem to be able to run 32-bit pretty merrily for my uses, and probably will for years to come. Still not entirely sure what attraction 64-bit has for a guest OS running on 2GB or less or RAM, etc?
    You're probably right - the machine is hopelessly underpowered for running several VMs simultaneously anyway; it just seemed ridiculous that it wouldn't even run one 64-bit OS as a guest.

The reason to run 64-bit guests is for simplicity; I have several 64-bit Ubuntu installs, but I wanted to play around with other variants, and it became too confusing having to have 32-bit install .isos for VM and 64-bit .isos for hosts.

By the way, as I have an AMD cpu the flag I need is apparently "svm", not "vmx". But I don't have that either, so that doesn't help. I wish I knew if there was a way I could alter the flags, rather than just reading them from cpuinfo.....
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12