Thread: Wireless Brother Printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wireless Brother Printer

I have a Brother DCP585CW and have installed the drivers from Brother and it worked fine

on Ubuntu 9.10 on both my desktop and laptop.

I have installed 10.04 on both and now the problem.

It works fine on the desktop but i get a problem on the laptop.

it is a wireless printer and I can print to it but only after I do 2 things each time I reboot

the laptop. I have to configure it through cups ( http://localhost:631 ) because it keeps

getting set to being connected via USB and letter rather than A4 paper on each boot but

the correct setting is:

Code:
    Description:DCP585CW Location:Landing Driver:Brother DCP-585CW CUPS v1.1 (color)
    Connection:lpd://192.168.1.66/binary_p1 Defaults:job-sheets=none, none media=adobe_A4_8.125x11.5139in
    i also have to correct it via System/Administration/Printing and setting A4 and setting it to

the default.

Has anyone any idea what is wrong?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wireless Brother Printer

Quote Originally Posted by linuxonbute View Post
    I have a Brother DCP585CW and have installed the drivers from Brother and it worked fine

on Ubuntu 9.10 on both my desktop and laptop.

I have installed 10.04 on both and now the problem.

It works fine on the desktop but i get a problem on the laptop.

it is a wireless printer and I can print to it but only after I do 2 things each time I reboot

the laptop. I have to configure it through cups ( http://localhost:631 ) because it keeps

getting set to being connected via USB and letter rather than A4 paper on each boot but

the correct setting is:

Code:
    Description:DCP585CW Location:Landing Driver:Brother DCP-585CW CUPS v1.1 (color)
    Connection:lpd://192.168.1.66/binary_p1 Defaults:job-sheets=none, none media=adobe_A4_8.125x11.5139in
    i also have to correct it via System/Administration/Printing and setting A4 and setting it to

the default.

Has anyone any idea what is wrong?

thanks
    Well I have not been able to solve the problem as such. I have a work around which is to
    add an extra printer vial cups and system/administration/printing.
    The one I actually have - my networked Brother printer - then setting this one to enabled/shared/default and it now works fine. Still cannot see why it worked without all this messing around from my desktop PC.