Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glitchy mythbuntu system after several upgrades

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Glitchy mythbuntu system after several upgrades

This is really starting to frustrate me, i could just reinstall my entire mediacenter but I was kind of hoping to not have to do that over something that seems like it should be simple.
    Im still kind of new here, only just over a year into ubuntu and still finding my way around!
    There are no such things as dumb questions, just dumb people! (And yes, i consider myself to be dumb!)

Beans
    Distro

So time has marched on and i am still having the above problems! I dont want ot have to reinstall my entire system (isnt that a windows thing after all! and not linux), but I am running out of patience. I have a media center that i cannot watch any dvd / rips on and get errors each time any update comes out!
    Im still kind of new here, only just over a year into ubuntu and still finding my way around!
    There are no such things as dumb questions, just dumb people! (And yes, i consider myself to be dumb!)

Beans

geekyhawkes,

I too noticed that when I ran ALL updates too all the software on my box, it would mess up some items that were working. As a result, I resorted to only updating the security patches, and leaving the software patches alone. This way my box had the most important updates, and I could rest assure that my wife could still watch TV as a simple update does not leave me looking at a black screen.

Is there any reason to update to the latest software each week, if you are running fine?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...ecurityUpdates

Once you have a backup you can untar the files to revert back to a working config, in case an update breaks you.
    Last edited by winewood; November 15th, 2010 at 08:00 PM.

Beans

This worked for me:

sudo dpkg --purge --force-all <package_name>

in this case...
    sudo dpkg --purge --force-all gconf2

Then I followed the instructions on this page.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186672

Reinstall gconf2 and other dependencies that were removed.

Beans
    Distro

too late for me, i ended up reinstalling. but thanks for the replies, its all good advice for the serach function if anyone else suffers my fate!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12